Speaking of Wasting Time

The other night, in a fit of potentially sinful boredom (I suppose there is ALWAYS something better I COULD be doing...even now) I jumped back and forth between Red Green reruns and some TV special about the 100 greatest movies lines. Hopefully I have not, in admitting this, revealed to much of my true nature...but if you don't "bust a gut" laughing at "Handyman's corner" then you likely will never be able to have much fun hanging out with me. Hmmm...tangent.

Anyway...what amazed me about the 100 best movie lines show was not which line came in first or second or even 100th, but rather how many of them I absolutely KNEW, but had no idea where they'd originated - in fact I didn't even know they were from a movie and yet I was able to say the line precisely as the actor or actress of the film had delivered it!

Wow...movies have really integrated themselves into our lives, haven't they? For good or ill, they are the fireside stories, myths, and legends of our day. That we wander about quoting them without even knowing it, gives me pause to wonder to what extent we have changed our thinking via their influence...perhaps even without knowing it? Yes, the age old question: does art influence culture or does culture influence art? Usually I'd say that both are true...but when the question was originally posed, was media nearly as potent or engrossing as it is today? And yet, there I was consuming it...well c'mon man! It was Red Green for all love!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Remember, if the ladies don't find you handsome, at least they can find you handy!
fdj said…
And we all know the handyman's secret weapon, right?

After moving my laundry room to another section of the house, I had one last thing to do: attach the laundry vent hose to the outside. And as I was wrapping the duct tape around the hose (aka duct) my wife asked: "Are you supposed to be using that tape for that?"

It occurred to me that this may have been the first time I'd ever used duct tape for its express purpose.
It was a surreal moment.
Virgil Petrisor said…
My father-in-law bought a cello for $5 at a garage sale. It just happens to have a hole in its body. Unfortunately it is in Texas and I am in Massachusetts, otherwise I would have taken it (it was offered to us), duct-taped it and sent it in as another example of duct-tape use. Unfortunately, since this year is the last season, I won't actually have a chance to do that. Also unfortunately, they don't show Red-Green in the Boston area...
Fr. John McCuen said…
Radoje:

It's "Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"

I mean, let's get it right, OK?

[grin]

It's time for the Possum Lodge Word Game!!!!

Popular Posts