Labels

Having blogged for awhile I have had my fair share of what I like to call "cowardly shots accross the bow." People that stumble accross my blog and then make some anonymous comment with precious little intent of ever really coming back or opening a dialogue with me or other readers.

Case and point is the anonymous visitor who asked recently if I might be a "homophobe" or a racist because, I assume, this is implicit in my thinking that diversity training in the workplace is a waste of time and resources. Clearly the connection is staggeringly clear...but alas none of these bow shooters and runners stick around long enough to engage in serious dialogue.

So much easier to label me and run off feeling content that I have been put safely in a clearly characterized, classified, identified, insignified, marked, stamped, stickered, and tagged place. It's funny how it is usually the conservative religious right who are accused of doing this, but clearly they are not the sole proprietors of such absurdity.

Step out of line with the growing popular acceptance for all things "politically correct" and watch the labels get heaped upon you. Let me be clear: I'm willing to talk here people...willing to engage...willing to trade broadsides in a nice way. But for all love don't fire a label accross my bow and run, let us conduct ourselves as gentlepersons (see how PC I can be!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are mean to people a lot!

Stop hurting my feelings.
Anonymous said…
People like that give us other anonymous folks a bad name. Sigh.
I haven't been offended yet, so I guess that means I'm just as bad as you are...
--- Bob K.
fdj said…
"Arrgggggh"
Charlie Brown style.

The darkside beckons...keep reading and you'll soon see my transformation into Darth Vasiliy...hammer of the politically correct and vice emperor of the dark and nefarious 'religious right.'

(cue mechanical breathing sounds)

"Anonymous....I am your father...come to the darkside you knob."
Paul Fromont said…
http://regent.gospelcom.net/regentnew/crux/featured_article.html

Hi James, not related to your post, but wanted to hightlight what I think is an article you will enjoy, if you haven't already seen it -

Four Days on the Mountain of Silence: Mount Athos
By R. Paul Stevens (Regent College - CRUX Dec. 2004)

Just previewed my comment; if the link doesn't work Go to -
http://regent.gospelcom.net/
and look for CRUX - Regent College, Vancouver's Journal.

Peace.
fdj said…
Thanks Paul, I'll check it out.
Anonymous said…
I was the one who posted that question. And it was a question.
fdj said…
Okay, well...hello anonymous. My name is James....and you are?

Also...I answered your question with a question and I anxiously await your answer.
Anonymous said…
hey, whose playing me!!!

stop trying to get in on my cleverness you faux anonomater!

I'm the real anonymous commenter, and i will not come to the dark side father! I still see good in you...dark helmet.

Popular Posts