Celtic Women

Caught them on my local PBS station...OUTSTANDING! I was mesmerized, captivated, and profoundly "wowed". I cannot say enough...absolutely gorgeous...music made for the sake of beauty. I could hear the call of my near forgotten celtic roots.

I'm ordering the DVD, along with a bottle of Bushmills - glorious.

HERE.

You can also listen and watch Máiréad Nesbitt play "Ashokan Farewell" HERE.

Choose your connection speed...then click "watch videos." It will automatically start with "You Raise Me Up" (which is also worth listening to), but on the right hand side bottom of the screen click "Watch:'The Contradiction'" and you will see them open with "Ashokan Farewell." But be careful fellas, Máiréad's eyes are liabel to hurt.

Comments

fdj said…
BTW....Ashokan Farewell is a tune that has haunted me since I first heard it during the first airing of Ken Burns' outstanding Civil War documentary...perhaps 20 years ago?

Anyway...there is something enduring about that song such that I think I could listen to it over and over and over again and not tire of it. It was composed by Jay Unger in 1982 and was the ONLY contemporary song used by Burns.

My only complaint is that the lovely young celtic woman doesn't play it long enough. Several times through would have been much more appreciated...but I suppose I can always use the rewind button.
Anonymous said…
You can get the original (I think) of Ashokan Farewell, by Chuck Leavell (sp) at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005MPQM/ref=pd_ir_imp/102-4045305-0616156
(sorry, I'm too groggy to make it look pretty) :-)
It's always haunted me too...

Liz
Munkee said…
ohhh, bushmills...i like
fdj said…
I used to have the soundtrack to "The Civil War", but I must have lent it to someone and lost track...miss that CD.

Popular Posts