More Marching

Last evening my eldest daughter and I sat down and watched "March of the Penguins." What an amazing story! So if you've not seen it, let me give you a little synopsis: first you must always keep in mind the unfathomably brutal weather that these birds etch an existance out of. Ok, so their only source of food is found in the water, but in order to keep their newborns relatively safe from predators they march "inland" to their breeding grounds which (depending on the brutality of any particular winter) can be more than 70 miles away. Once there they find a mate and sometime later an egg is produced. Then, the mothers hand off the egg to Dad and he is left in charge with the egg in order for the Mother (who by this point is quite hungry) to march back to the water and feed. The Fathers huddle together with their eggs to keep warm in an amazing display of communal survival, and in this way they try and bear the brunt of winter without any food.

Eventually the Mothers somehow realize it is time to march back (remember: 70 miles) with full bellies ready to feed the newborn chicks who will hopefully not hatch too soon before Mom arrives back at the breeding ground. Once the Moms do arrive, Dad gets to make the march back to water - having been without food for nearly four months! Now you can imagine that any number of things can go wrong within this rather complex dance of life, thereby bringing it to a screeching halt. I truly was amazed at how this system of roles came to be - clearly it is all absolutely neccesary in the harsh environment that they call home.

Now you may recall there was a little controversy with regard to this film because some "family values" type folks were touting it as an example of...well...of family values. Naturally (I suppose) those who are offended by those particular family values were quick to point out that some Emperor Penguins are homosexual. Now, I really don't know if this is true or not, the film notes that there are always more females than males and so I assume that if there are homosexual Emperor Penguins they would in fact be gay Empress Penguins. In which case, who stays at home with the egg and who gets to go get food first???? :)

Anyway, it is striking to see how ingrained the roles are in these animals. How do they know how to find the breeding ground? How do they instinctively know that the ladies head off for food first and that the men stay behind to preserve the egg? What would happen if a particular Dad decided he wanted to go and eat first...well...as it is, for the sake of survival the Penguins have no such luxury of stepping outside of their roles. I suppose those that do, don't get very far in their societal experimentation (they certainly don't have their genes propagated).

There are only two places in the world were Emperor Penguins are kept in captivity, and I was forced to wonder how these creatures adapted their roles in such a leisurely environment? I did a little looking around to see if I could find out anything, and all I could find is that they are notoriously difficult to breed in captivity and this little tidbit from the World Almanac for Children: In captivity the king and emperor penguins normally do not learn to pick up their own food, and after they have been taught to feed by strenuous forced feeding they must be fed by hand each day.

Given the complexity of their rituals and roles and how much those things are seemingly a part of their nature, I would imagine that capitivty plays havoc with their psyche. If I could, I would ask the captive Penguins: Are you happy?

And correspondingly I would ask us: Are we happy? Has a life of leisure played havoc with our psyche?

Comments

Kassianni said…
if I ever have a life of leisure, I will let you know ;)
I loved the movie too, but was tempered in my praise by a friend who thought it anthropomorphic. he may be right. then I tried to find examples in the bible of where animal analogies are used, and the only one that came to mind was our comparison with the sheep. the stupidest of animals (besides the chicken, that is).
*sigh* that's where my argument fell apart.
but I liked it anyway:)
Susan Sophia said…
I know this is silly to point out but if there are more females than males they females that do not have a partner would not produce eggs as a male is needed for this. As you remember in the film when a "couple" loses their egg or baby they no longer need to stay at the breeding ground but head back "home". As well, it take 5 years for the babies to grow up enough to make their own march to the breeding ground. So I assume based on all of that, there are many many penguins that do not make the march each year but stay back at home and eat. I also think that the reason the mothers go eat first is to restore lost energy after producing the egg. As we all know it takes a lot of energy to produce. So she goes to eat to restore and replenish but not only that to store up to feed the baby.
The whole gay thing is probably just an attempt to take away from the whole "family values" debate. I believe animals live and die purely on a "circle of life" existence. They don't have the vises or passions we have...they are not sinful. They don't kill because they hate, they kill to live because it's the order that was handed down.
They breed to create not because it feels good.
fdj said…
Well we have certainly redefined leisure these days...unless you are having winters in which you seriously worry about freezing to death.
:)

Be wise as serpents and gentle as doves.

Of course, I own a serpent and I can assure you of their complete lack of wisdom...but they are VERY sneaky.
fdj said…
Yeah the lesbian peguins producing an egg was a joke :)

I'm not sure they do not gain pleasure from fulfilling their roles.
Susan Sophia said…
Okay...gaining pleasure from full-filling a role is one thing. I can gain pleasure from fulfilling my roll as a mother; comforting, kissing away hurt, teaching, etc. So yes, I think they can gain pleasure from fulfilling their roll but in a different way. It's not about sensual pleasure for animals. I really believe that. If there is research to show otherwise it would be interesting to see. But honestly, how would they measure that?
I left this out of my last comment but feel it fits here...
Have you ever watched cats or dogs mate...I do not think they are enjoying themselves.
fdj said…
Have you ever watched cats or dogs mate...I do not think they are enjoying themselves.

You ever wonder if they say the same of us?

:)~

Popular Posts