And now you know, the REST of the Bible...

Becoming Orthodox offers a sort of "sequel" to the Bible. The so-called Apocrypha or Dueterocanonical books eschewed by protestants are now viewed in a more positive light.
I have taken it upon myself to become more familiar with these texts and it has thus far been a fascinating adevnture.

Now, I am in the midst of I Macabees and despite being rather bloody, it has a tremendous richness to its historical accounts. Besides references to Alexander the Great of Macedonia and his heirs, there is a wonderfully intriguing account of the blossoming Roman Republic and an alliance formed between it and the Jews. It includes the text of the alliance, which to this history geek was...how shall I say...particularly pleasing.

Read it here.

Comments

Mimi said…
Unless you came from a RCC background like me, you didn't get a new sequel, just a different Psalm numbering and revised chapters of Kings.
Grin.
Thomas Ham said…
We've just finished our 2nd week of Family Night covering the "So-Called Apocrypha, the Longer Canon". Father Josiah asked us all to read I, II, III, and IV Maccabees in a week, which I tried to do. I got half way through III Maccabees.

While reading I and II I had wikipedia open looking up people, strategies, places, etc. I loved it!

Popular Posts