A trip to Jerusalem in proxy

A friend and coworker of mine is going home to Israel in April for the whole month. Yes, she will be there during Pascha! However, she is Jewish and so will likely not be participating in the celebration of the Holy Light...lest I convert her beforehand!(JK!)

She has offered to take with her a note from my family to be placed into the Wailing Wall, and I am deeply honored for this offer. She has also asked if there is anything else she could do or get for me and my family.

So, any suggestions? I thought perhaps I could send with her a small icon of the Resurrection and ask her to lay it briefly within Christ's tomb for us as she said she would be willing to visit the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. (Clearly I will have to warn her about the season!)

Comments

Mimi said…
What a beautiful gift you've been given!
Anonymous said…
Have her Buy Incense for you
Anonymous said…
My grandmother (who lives in Jerusalem about 6 months out of the year) felt so bad about missing my baptism that she walked over to the Christian quarter and bought me a hand written icon of the Theotokos and the Christ child. It is one of my most prized possessions.

I've been to Jerusalem twice (once for four months), so I'm trying to think...I really like your icon of the Resurrection idea. St. Elizabeth's relics are in Jerusalem as well, if she happens to be important to you or Sue. You could have her bring you an olive wood nativity. Not only are they very beautiful, but the Palestinian Christians who make them depended on Christian tourists for their livlihood, and are now nearly destitute due to the lack of tourists, especially in Bethlehem.

I'll see if I think of anything else.
Anonymous said…
I should have said which St. Elizabeth - it is St. Elizabeth the Grand Duchess/New Martyr
Anonymous said…
Ooh! Ooh! She's on my short list of favorites!

Liz :-)
Anonymous said…
Mine too Liz :) If you're interested, Ancient Faith radio has a great interview about St. Elizabeth available as a mp3 on their website.

I would also recomment their show on St. Xenia of St. Petersburg - also a very favorite.

Popular Posts