A Truckload

Well, as I threatened, I finally filled the old farm truck with a load of manure. Well...compost, but at one point it was manure. And not cow, horse, or donkey...but EMU poop!

It is presently being fed to our ongoing garden construction project.

Chickens are the name of the game. Susan has gong hog wild about chickens and it looks as if we might be moving more into that "industry" as a means of making a little money: even enough to sustain the the feeding of the chickens would be fantastic, but there does seem to be a substantial market for farm fresh, pastured, organic, free-range chicken's and their eggs. I already have people lining up...and have begun receiving cartons from my vanpool mates.

I've checked the state regs and as long as I sell directly to the end user from my farm I can sell as many eggs as I like and I can slaughter 1,000 chickens a year without being required to have a state inspection. (Of course I have to pay Christine Gregoire $75.00/year in order to slaughter and sell my birds!)

Paradosis Ranch? Ferrenberg Ranch? Ferrenberg Farm? We need a name. The farm that raises and sells the dahlias at the end of the road here is called "Emerald Acres" ("Emerald" is the street they live on), and it makes me laugh because my phone used to ring to the tune of "Green Acres."

Comments

Liz in Seattle said…
A vote here for "Ferrenberg Farm."

But we've spent the last year going to "the Ferrenbergs", so it rolls off our tongues.

OTOH, you could call the place "Fang-a-nerd" Ranch, in honor of then-toddler Patrick.

Just a thought.
fdj said…
LOL...sounds like a vampire taking a liking to a microsoft programmer.
Munkee said…
Ferrenberg Farm: Eggs, Chickens, and *@#$.

Yep, that's my vote.
fdj said…
Well because I figure its better to say it right up front, no matter what name we end up with, the bottom of our sign/logo/cards/labels will say:

"We don't rent pigs."

...cause a man that does like to rent pigs is - he's hard to stop.


But I will rent you some *@#$ Aaron. Cheap.
:)
Liz in Seattle said…
I'God, Wood-ro...
layne (herman) said…
Fang-a-nerd: just change the spelling to Faeng-a-Gnurrd makes it sound Celtic or something...

Glad to hear things are going well at "Glen o' Faeng-a-Gnurd"


But please mark me as one vote AGAINST "Ruby Ridge" though.

~papa herman
http://papaherman.wordpress.com/
fdj said…
So, ph, I suppose Mount Carmel is out too?
Anonymous said…
Yea, I would nix Mt. Carmel too... Just helping you to play it safe brother.

-papa herman
http://papaherman.wordpress.com/

Popular Posts