Spying on my kids

Do I have the LEGAL right to spy on my kids? If I suspect my teenage daughter was lying to me about where she was going, do I have the right to secretly follow her? Or if I suspect drug use, do I have the right to search "their" rooms? Honestly, I don't really care what the state says in such matters (though I worry where we may be headed), I'm doing everything I can to protect my kids...even from themselves. Even at 17, they are still kids and often make decisions akin to the decision making skills one might expect from a bag of hammers.

Here in Washington there is a big "controversy" surrounding two girls caught kissing on a school video camera. Read the story HERE.

I've made no secret that one of my BIGGEST issues - politically speaking - is parental rights and issues where the state tries to parent for me or give to my children rights I would not myself allow them to have. Now everyone is up in arms calling this event an example of 1984 come to life!

With or without the tape, it really doesn't matter. So what if the parents were shown the video? What's important is that the parents were concerned about their kid, asked for help, and Keith Nelson took action. Note how everyone is tip toeing around the gay issue. Gasp! What if we find out the parents and Mr. Nelson were....evagelicals?!?!?!? [cue ominous music]

Soon, I fear, the likes of Mr. Nelson will vanish and instead we'll have state employees who say simply, "I'm sorry. Your son/daughter has certain privacy rights that we are not permitted to violate."

Mr. Nelson...from THIS parent...thank you.

Comments

Meg said…
Oh, Lord, have I duked this one out with our kids' teachers. Here's a handy tip: What shut them down was, "If my kid gets into trouble at 2:00 a.m., whose door are the cops gonna come knockin' on? Not yours!!!"

YOU STICK TO YOUR GUNS!!!

Popular Posts