Is it really Good Friday

Is it really Good Friday

I just finished a brief conversation with one of my friends in Uganda who reminded me that it was Good Friday. Check this out: Good Friday AND "Easter Monday" are national Holidays in Uganda! Other than the Orthodox, I don't believe any American Christians (that I know of) celebrate "Easter Monday" (or as we would call it Bright Monday)...and of course it is even harder to imagine both Friday and Monday as being official Holy-days (as they pronounce it...properly I might add.)

I will admit that I am a little bummed sometimes about being so much in the minority of when Easter is celebrated here in America. I guess to some degree the "cool" factor of being different has worn off...none-the-less I STILL believe no one celebrates Easter like we celebrate Pascha. Most American celebrations of Easter (where they still exist) are like artificially flavored and sweetened maple soy "veggie-sausages" as compared to REAL hog-fat ridden, genuine Vermont tree-tapped maple sugar sausages. IMHO...of course.

But, more and more it seems Good Friday (and even Easter) is lost on the general public...a blur of bunnies and pastel colored eggs of little to no significance. A little article today about the cultural obliteration of Easter. It really should not surprise us and we are not going to win people back to Easter if we don't win them back to Christ (firstly) and solid historic Christian teaching (as well). I suppose that MIGHT begin by simply making sure WE celebrate the FEAST fully and with all that that entails day in and day out.

A blessed Easter to my western Christian friends and family.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello James,

I just came over to wish you a Happy Easter from the Eastern Rite. We celebrate Easter Monday too. May God Bless you and yours on this glorious day, April 27th and every day.

Cepik

Popular Posts