ouch

ouch

I've a long history of back problems beginning with herniated and ruptured discs some 15 years ago I am guessing. Since then I have had episodes from time to time that have set me down for a few days and in one particularly bad case a couple of months including a hospital stay. I've since lost a bunch of weight (though not enough) and this has made my lower back much less of a problem.

However, more rarely it still flares up now and again, I rest it a couple of days, and all seems well. Recently however, the problem altered course on me. Through the day Saturday I noticed some pretty good pain in my right leg from time to time, which itself is not unusual (sciatica) since it was an occasional and short-lived symptom of my problems. However, when I awoke on Sunday morning, the pain in my leg was constant and quite severe. Through the morning it lessened some, but would come and go. By mid-day the pain began to increase and I noticed that my foot was getting numb and tingly...I was more than a little concerned.

I went to Urgent Care and received some comfort in that they didn't think I would lose the function of my legs. The theory is that my disc problem is just directed in an unusual (for me) direction (inward toward the nerves) and this is why it hurts so much. And boy does it hurt...even with the pain meds (Vicodin) it is sometimes agonizing to stand or walk. Sitting seems to be the most comfortable (though I hesitate to use the word comfort), for even sleeping is interrupted with pain in my leg. Getting out of bed and standing (after a few seconds) is an experience of pain like I have never had before. No change this morning.

If it gets worse or does not get better I am going to have an MRI done and see what the problem specifically is. Worse case scenario (I think?) will be surgery, and so presently I'm in a state of trying to rest, being drugged, and waiting for it to go away. Your prayers are sought...and pray also for the ladies in my family who are presently traveling to the monastery.

Perhaps I can let God teach me some much needed things amidst this pain?

Comments

Ouch !
You have my prayers.
I hope the ladies of the family have a blessed visit to the monastery !
bob said…
Arrrrgh. Herniated disk is no fun. I hope that gets well quickly.
Here's something I've tried and gives some relief. Low-tech, give it a *careful* try:

http://drbackman.com/low-back-traction.htm

Good luck. No driving with the Vicodin!

----Bob K.
Liz in Seattle said…
BTDT, while pregnant (hence no Vicodin). Ouch doesn't quite describe it, I'm sure, but this is a family-friendly blog, after all. You're in our prayers!

Popular Posts