Much ado...period

The chickens' egg production is moving right along. The presence of a smaller egg yesterday likely indicates that a new hen has joined the factory assembly line and I must admit I am looking forward to seeing the quantities 20+ hens can produce once they find their groove. I have buyers lined up already if we exceed our consumption needs.

Our neighbors got themselves a goat...actually it is their daughter's 4H project. A meat goat (mixed Boer) that she will raise and then sell, I assume, at auction. We have our fencing (both for the goats and the garden) already purchased, and so we are just waiting for the time (and weather) to get some serious outdoor work done.

The time change was MOST welcome by our little farm. That, combined with my 25% reduced commute time thanks to the vanpool, has afforded me a good deal of light still when I get home. However, a toenail mishap has had me limping and really, the weather has not been terribly cooperative. I think one of the most pressing things I want to finish is harvesting the rest of those Alders out of the forest and getting them split and stored in the woodshed to dry. Then we have the garden, the guest house (the raising of which we will schedule shortly), the storage shed, and conversion of the barn for goats - including fencing their primary pasture.

Further rednecking myself, I've joined the NRA. I was actually tempted to do this a few years ago when I saw the irritating and stupid handling that Michael Moore wielded upon an obviously aging and unarmed Charlton Heston...but was never able to generate enough will to do so. But, wanting to make use of the Poulsbo Sportsman Club on a regular basis, I decided to join and that required an NRA membership. Also, instead of one revolver I am ending up with two...long story...but I suspect my wife is happy to have her own Blackhawk and I am anxious to get to know and shoot with more of the Cowboy Action Shooters at the Club. Not to say that I am not perfectly happy to by a "card carrying" member of the NRA, I am. Whether their interp of the 2nd is correct or not, I like being able to own firearms and generally agree with what Larry the Cable Guy says: "If guns are responsible for killing people, then my pencil is responsible for spelling errors."

Meanwhile 7 out of 14 climatological computer models show that the North Pole ice will vanish each summer starting in September of 2101. At the same time, 14 out of 14 local 5 day forecast models are changing radically about every hour. God only knows what weather we'll have for the weekend...but a little dryness would be welcomed given all I have to do.

More signs of Spring are arriving everyday, ignoring what the weathermen, climatologists, and politicians have to say. Thank God for such consistency...an anchor with which we have largely lost touch.

Random thought for the weekend: "A lawn...any lawn, is wasted potential."

Comments

Munkee said…
"A lawn...any lawn, is wasted potential."

LOL! James, you know I would definitely agree with you if I didn't have young tender foots in the house who need space to run and make madness without daddy yelling, "Not in the garden!" When we moved in to our home there was no lawn and we seriously considered it for more garden space. More recently we had the idea of planting a pumpkin patch out there for the double bonus of "worry free pumpkining" (i.e. they take over everything) and the pure coolness of a pumpkin patch front yard in the fall.
fdj said…
.357 Mag
4 3/8" barrel
Stainless with Rosewood grips.

Actually should be arriving next week.
fdj said…
Aaron...fencing to keep both deer and kids out.
:)


Y'all actually have a pretty big yard for city folk!
Anonymous said…
As to joining the NRA, Welcome Aboard! No group is perfect, but the NRA is the big dog when it comes to gun rights. Also, their flagship magazine, The American Rifleman, is a good read. Enjoy!

Popular Posts