Copper River Salmon!

Have arrived! Yawn.

Crappy weather at the mouth of the river means you can expect to pay even more...say perhaps 20,25, maybe 30 bucks a pound or more. Of course you know who is doing MOST of the smiling (besides the ignorant)...the sellers. It's a scam people.

I'll wager a pound of Copper River Salmon that if you cooked wild salmon from any other Alaskan watershed that you could NOT tell it from Copper River Salmon. In reality, as good as that run is, it has be soooo over marketed, soooo hyped, sooo advertised, and sooo accepted by the gullible wealthy desperate for something better than that which is available to common folk that they can now charge exorbitant amounts of money for it. Heck a storm makes it even better. Deadliest Catch man!


I've heard it all before: "Oh it's so much richer...so much more flavorful..." etc etc...I don't buy it. Heck I can't afford it.

Comments

Mark Powell said…
Are your Copper River salmon really wild? Blogfish gives you the odds at:
http://blogfishx.blogspot.com/2007/05/is-your-copper-river-salmon-really-wild.html
Anonymous said…
I've often figured that anything I can't afford is surely decadent, sinful, immortal. This is a standard rule of thumb in America.
Anonymous said…
I meant "immoral". Sorry

- Steve K
fdj said…
LOL...yes it's easy to criticize it when I can't afford it.

That being said, I truly believe the whole thing is little more than a very well marketed brand and that no one can TRULY say it is any better than any other wild Alaskan salmon.

I've had CRS and I've caught Sockeye out of the Lake Washington that was comparable. But then again, I have a poor man's palate...thankfully.
Liz in Seattle said…
I've had CRS, and I've had fresh-caught out of Alaskan River "X". Guess which was better?

I don't dare identify the river...

Popular Posts