Famed Russian Cellist is laid to rest

Mstislav Rostropovich. Read a little about his fascinating life HERE.

Some photos from his funeral:



According to the press, the woman holding the icon is Rostropovich's daughter.


A daughter says farewell to her father. I think many Americans (westerners?) feel uncomfortable with such expressions. I know many converts who in moments of honesty are a little "weirded out" by the last kiss portion of the funeral service, but it surely does fit the Orthodox ethos doesn't it? Perhaps we are apprehensive because we wish to sterilize death? To avoid seeing it so blatantly laid out before us? Doing so, I think, lessens the power of the Paschal proclamation.


Memory Eternal!

It is an altogether wonderful and appropriate thing to see this dissident of the Soviet Union having an Orthodox funeral in a post-soviet Russia.

Comments

Stacy said…
I'm only disturbed that there's someone standing right there to catch the intimately grieved kiss on film.
Munkee said…
I remember with the death of my grandmother, waiting for my family to leave the room before I kissed her and prayed for her and thanked God for her. Sara was there of course, but I knew that my evangelical family wouldn't get the affection being shown to "Grandma's shell" . That's okay. I understand them not understanding. However, beyond seeming appropriate to Orthodoxy, I now think it is appropriately Christian. It is sad that the obviousness of this is not better understood amongst some Christians. I think a reading of the martyrdom of Polycarp (pre-conversion) shook me up and made me realize my view of "the body" needed to change and be less gnostic and more open to honoring a vessel of grace.
fdj said…
Very, very well said Aaron.
Mimi said…
Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing.

May his Memory be Eternal.

Popular Posts