Small Victory for Freedom

Small Victory for Freedom

Good news
with regard to a story I've blogged about before.

Whether Plan B can cause an abortion is up for debate...what irks me is two things: public policy that assumes people have a RIGHT to avoid natural consequence to irresponsible behavior and this:

"Patient access to appropriate care should not be undermined by personal, non-medical judgments"



What sort of medical judgment is involved in preventing the most natural thing in the world from happening? Plan B is appropriate care based on medical judgment? Puhlease! It is based on judgement that says: "Oh Crap! I don't want to have a baby!"

And this:

"If somebody deserves medicine because they have a medical need, a religious objection is potentially contrary"



Do I need to spell it out? Pregnancy or even potential pregnancy is NOT a medical need. Say it together now: Pregnancy is NOT a medical need. A severed artery is a medical need. A heart attack is a medical need. Melanoma presents a medical need. Running stomach while spending a month in Africa is a medical need. Pregnancy is something we might consider to be the NORMAL and HEALTHY result of a personal decision. (Ok, granted in exceptionally...EXCEPTIONALLY...rare cases pregnancy can be dangerous to certain people...but Plan B isn't really for them, is it? I mean if you know pregnancy is a health risk to you I would expect you'd make sure Plan A works, no? Of course not...what was I thinking.)

Plan B is a not a medical product. It is a tool. And if I own a hardware store and I opt not to carry a particular product, that is my RIGHT. Viva La Freedom!

Comments

Popular Posts