Day Four...

...of consistent daily prayers. Still no hesychastic visions or Theoria to speak of.

(Shaking his prayer book) "Is this thing turned on?!?!?!"

Met. ANTHONY says in his book Beginning to Pray (which if you are reading this Rick, I will be sending to you shortly!) that sometimes the "absence" of God is a profound grace to us. Given my life, I have very little doubt.

That wonderful beatitiude Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God (Theoria, no?), it seems to me, is not trying to describe some absurd "rewarding of good behavior" interaction, but rather it reminds us that God in His great mercy and love is preserving (dare I say "rewarding"?) an impure heart with his "absence."

Alright now, don't get all excited folks...I really don't expect to experience the uncreated light of God after four days of prayer and a mediocre adherence to the Dormition fast. Now, if by Sunday it has not happened, then I shall resort to reliance upon THIS:

...noted spirits reviewer Michael Jackson says of this one: "Smells like a barbecue in progress. Fat pork being cooked over applewood."
Well now, THAT should be interesting!



Comments

Popular Posts