A Rather Scathing Critique of Orthodoxy

The Father-to-be (biologically speaking) Aaron has put up a link to a lengthy essay that is in dire need of critique itself. Initially I thought that it was going to be a simple historical analysis of the 7th ecumenical council, but in fact it is an attempt to demonstrate the opinion of the author that much of Orthodox practice is drawn from pagan practice. Naturally, I cannot let this go unasnwered as it originates from a friend of a friend, and said initial friend (Aaron) has sought comments on it.

I intend to offer a lengthy response and invite others who perhaps also have less time than the original author to thumb through it and direct insights to me if they wish. I have not finished the essay and already have tons and tons of notes in the margins. I will post my response here as it developes. The article in question can be found here.

This work is thick - historically, theologically, and culturally. I am amazed at the amount of research the author tried to do and wonder what on earth might have fueled and afforded such an effort. All this being said, a cooperative Orthodox response is warrented as we all have jobs and families.


Comments

Popular Posts