Prioritize, Prioritize, Prioritize

Well I spent a good protion of my weekend here attending a Lenten retreat to hear Fr. Anthony Coniaris encourage us to do that which the title of this post suggests.

Making Jesus number one...such a cliche. It is quite unfortunate though, because there is so much depth to the concept. There were many things which Fr. Coniaris said that really struck me, one example being the story of a disasterous train wreck in which a female survivor was seen frantically wandering about the wreckage weeping bitterly. The cries and moans of the seriously wounded, dying, and/or trapped could be clearly heard as rescuers were desperately trying to assist those in need. As it turned out, the wandering and weeping woman was not seeking a lost loved one but was instead deeply disturbed for the apparent loss of a pair of $200 shoes. Amazing!

I believe I do this all the time. Dwelling in a state of complete obliviousness to my surroundings and to what is really important in life - becoming so wrapped up in myself, my passions, my pleasure that I literally become blind. Like a woman after a train wreck who can see nothing but her lost shoes.

Some questions I am pondering:

Why should my knowledge of a having a remaining lifespan of 10 days make me live my life any differently than now while under the presumption of having 40 years?

If I had my priorities truly in line, would I ever experience boredom?


Comments

Popular Posts