Soundtracks

You ever notice that certain movies (indeed most) generally require a real symphony played soundtrack in the genre of "classical music"? I have been thinking about this alot lately - especially since I have been listening to portions of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

I have always loved movie soundtracks, I can recall as a kid joyfully listening to the resurrected and transfigured 1960's TV Star Trek theme in the Soundtrack to The Wrath of Khan. Though I no longer have the cassette (can you imagine!), I can still hum the songs from memory.

Anyway, it seems that any film which intends itself to be taken seriously must have a classical soundtrack. Attmepts made with synthesizers (e.g. Chariots of Fire) or pop music (name any teen flick) are doomed to date themselves. Remember that movie Flash Gordon which had a soundtrack put together by the band Queen? Just thinking about it makes me feel a little queasy. And going back to watch that aformentioned fantastic movie Chariots of Fire was really difficult, because the soundtrack(while cool in the 80's) really grated againts me...from my perspective it darned near ruins the movie now.

One cool thing that alot of films are using now is the inclusion of choral music...one of my favorites and earliest that I can recall is found in the movie Glory in which the Harlem Boy's Choir belts out some beautifully dramatic works.

I am thankful for soundtracks - good soundtracks - can you imagine the Battle of Helm's Deep being done to the sound of Blink 182's latest hit? (By the way, I had to ask a younger and hipper coworker for the name of some cool teen band here). Sure a lot of pimply face teens would love it, but what would they think in 10 years when Blink 182 is just sooooo passe'? Would the film lose its ability to endure? Would it be like me trying to sit through Chariots of Fire and not be irritated by the fuzzy 1980's computer music?

Why is it that classical music, several hundred years old or more, has such an ability to presevere? Is there something inherent in classical music that connects with us as human beings? Is it timeless?

As you might expect, I ask myself while pondering this vein of thought: What religious lesson may be found therein? Well, what is the soundtrack of our church? Will it endure? Does it matter? Or shall we be constantly content with making the ecclesial equivalent of teen movies?


Comments

Popular Posts