The Assembly of Atheists

No doubt you have heard about the interesting post Fr. John had in regards to an "Atheist Invocation" at the Tampa City Council meeting. Of even more interesting note is the fact that the Atheist in question found his way to Fr. John's blog and posted a brief comment. You can read the article about the pending invocation HERE.

Anyway, Mr. Harvey (the invoker) is a member of an Atheist organization, which to me is an intriguing thing. If you think organized religion is a bad thing, consider the organized religion of Atheism. I understand where these folks are coming from (as I am a former Atheist): they see religion as a darkness that is in need of enlightenment...quite literally it is Atheist evangelism (as spelled out in article 4 of their purpose statement). It is a fascinating thing though, to read their choice of language which is so rich with moral imperatives - none of which it seems to me can be logically founded upon Atheism.

We have Bible-thumping Angry Christians and we have "Origin of Species"-thumping angry Atheists. Closely related species, just different colors.

I support Mr. Harvey's "right" to say whatever he likes before the Tampa City Council. Having read the "parameters" that the counicl insists upon in regards to their official "invocations", I also support and encourage the utilization of the right that Orthodox clergy have to decline invitations to "pray" there. After all, is it even possible to offer an Orthodox Prayer without invoking the Holy Trinity?

Kudos to the "Atheists of Florida" for offering those of us who are "the product of unfounded dogmas", sympathy and understanding. I suppose I'll take sympathy (even condescending) anytime I can get it. Maybe that sympathy would inspire donations to pay for my PhD and through such education perhaps rid me of my "unfounded dogmas"?

Comments

Popular Posts