Gnostic Wedding Vows
 
Somebody found Paradosis via this google search. So I though I might indulge the seeker with a couple of options:
 
"I promise to loathe your body and never to touch you."
 
Or
 
"I promise to loathe your body, count it for nothing, and therefore violate it at every opportunity...and since my body is equally loathesome, I promise to allow it to violate and be violated by everyone."

The two classic historic extremes that found their way naturally into Christianity when gnosticism reared its ugly head. Hope that helps our seeker, if they find their way back - perhaps if they'd like to hear the real "secret" teachings of Jesus they might try their local Orthodox Church.

I know I've said it before, but it never ceases to interest me that the Orthodox Wedding service has NO vows at all.
 
Holy Saint Irenaios, hammer of the gnostics, pray unto God for us.
 


Comments

Popular Posts