Mormon Iconography

After dropping my mother off at her house I was in a hurry to get home. As I bolted round the corner of my truck to find my way to the driver's side I noticed the two young boys/men dressed sharply with nametags approaching me - I tried to ignore them.

"Good evening sir!" one called out, "How are you doing tonight?"

As I opened my door, I obligingly turned to face them and nodded, "I'm okay thanks."

They handed me a card, with a rather lovely picture of Jesus exiting the tomb on one side and a “free video” ploy for converts on the other. I took the card graciously as I climbed into the truck.

“We just wanna give you this free video about Jesus Christ,” one of them smiled.

“Hey! Nice Icon,” I said as I looked at the image.

Nothing…maybe they didn’t hear me.

“I have one too,” I reached over and let lay in the palm of my hand the small Pantocrator, which hangs from my rearview mirror.

They leaned down and looked in.

“Gentlemen,” I said after a dramatic pause, “I’m afraid I don’t have time to chat, but I’d be happy to talk more about Jesus Christ if you would like my email address.”

I could tell that one of them was apprehensive about this and it seemed he would have preferred to just let their video do the talking. The other however (how biblical that they go out by two’s!) was a bit more zealous I guess and immediately took out a pad and pen. I gave them my hotmail account: “Irenaios.”

“Interesting name,” the zealot said.

“He was a second century Christian saint,” I told him.

“Hmmm,” he pondered, “never heard of em.”

“No, I imagine you wouldn’t have.”

We’ll see if they will write.

Comments

Popular Posts