Memorial Day



Memorial Day prayers

I think this is a perfect example of an opportunity for us Orthodox to Baptize (as it were) American culture. I can remember MANY a memorial day passing without me remembering much of anything. I never lost a family member I knew to war, but I certainly found myself feeling blessed to live in a land with as much freedom as we have and also feeling very thankful toward those who have given their lives so that we may have that freedom. Consider the plight of so many around the world who are either utterly denied freedom "legally" or at the very least socially are unable to speak their minds or do what they like. The EP would like a little more freedom. Apparently some Venezuelans are realizing their freedoms are drying up. (Gee, and that Chavez guy seemed like such a nice anti-american poster boy, I'm dismayed!)

It is an altogether right thing to do in celebration of our freedom, to gather friends and family and roast animal flesh over a fire of some sort - that grand American tradition.

Anyway, we offered prayers for the departed and sang Memory Eternal and a good time was had by all, goats, chickens, and dog included.

Comments

Popular Posts