Back to "normal"

I was saddened to awaken to darkness this morning for my first official day back in the lab. Where did the summer go? I am praying for a fantastic September and maybe even an Indian summer. Much more to do.

I got a great deal of wood split, but that was about all I managed to accomplish lately...well Sue and I replaced the faucet on the kitchen sink and the back-splash with tile. However, I am still having the "sniffles" from my African cold as I now call it.

Last weekend we did the decidedly rural duty and pleasure of attending the Kitsap County Fair and Stampede. (And hey...could there being Serbian ancestry for Miss Kitsap Fair and Stampede?)

We didn't stay for the rodeo stuff, but we sure had a great time seeing all the animals, learning a bunch, and even meeting a miniature Hereford breeder from Sequim named John Johnston, from whom we bought 1/2 of a cow (about 231 lbs hanging weight). Later in September we also get to tour his ranch! And who knows, maybe he'll convince us to go with Mini-Herefords instead of pigs?

As if this weren't cool enough, I had a real cowgirl (she'd come over to warn us not to reach in to touch her horse) compliment me on my hat...I didn't have the heart to tell her I bought it at the feed store for $6.00

Some aspects of normal I find to be most welcomed. The commute into the city not being one of them. I don't feel like I've had my fill of farm chores...you know sweating my way through some pasture fencing and what not. Feels so good to be sore at the end of a long hard day...that first sip of a fine ale as you sit to rest, wholly self-satisfied for your day's labors, is a little taste of heaven.

Spending a day in the lab just doesn't do the same thing for me. I can't explain it further.

Comments

Mimi said…
Yes, we are the land that summer forgot this year.

Which I like just fine.

Popular Posts