Like Riding a Bike

Yesterday I did something I had not done in probably two years, which is amazing because of the extent to which I used to do this sort of thing.

I went fishing.

If you do not perceive this to be a big deal, then you do not know me. The Farm has taken so much of my time and the move here to Kitsap has left me "out of the water" in regards to techniques to use when fishing the Sound from shore, which is pretty much the only option for Salmon here.

Sue and I threw caution and responsibility to the wind, told Killick he was in charge, said a prayer for the chickens (specifically that said prayer would not be a meal blessing for Killick) and packed up the kids and some food and headed up to "Point No Point" to wet some lines.

I worried if I would be able to remember to tie a good clinch knot, but I soon found that such knowledge has been incorporated into a number of eternal synapses: once my fingers were entwined with that 12 lb test, they worked effortlessly with lubricating saliva applied at all the right times. Heck, I'll bet I could still do an awesome Egg Loop knot too!

Alas, I came home empty handed. But Sue nabbed a bright little Jack Coho (perhaps 2-3 lbs). You who are anglers know though, that even just standing half the day and rhythmically tossing and retrieving your offering to the salmonids of the Northwest is a joy...especially if you've not done it in years.

NEXT time, I hope to add to that joy the glories of setting MY Silver on the grill and not just my wife's.

That being said, it's good to know I have myself a quality woman who can land salmon at least as well (better than?) I can.

Comments

Mimi said…
Congrats to the Mrs. And, giggling about the prayer for the dog.

Popular Posts