Ashes to Ashes, Dust to dust

While the politicians point fingers and argue about how best to fix things (as if they know)...a former broker turned monk, Brother Nikanor, offers some advice:


Put a jar of dirt on your desk to remind you where you are headed and what is important in life.

Article here.

Sound advice...and not just for brokers and the wealthy. They have no monopoly on having need for such advice. As a political side...I get nervous with the thought of government deciding when "someone consumes more than they have earned." The question ought not to be directed to others...but to ourselves, no? I mean really...should we be looking at other people and telling them they earn or consume more than they should? I know a few Ugandans who see my "humble" life in a radically different light than I do. We have a tendency to place the "too much" mark just above our own consumption levels don't we.

We should always be examining our lives and our consumption and our stewardship of what we have and what we do - but how often do we do it? But if the economy really crashes...then we will really be forced to apply our values to our finances, won't we?

A jar of dirt in every home is NOT a bad idea!

Comments

Matt said…
From where I am sitting I see not just a jar of dirt but real human ashes.

Popular Posts