Intuitive

Sometime...I'd say at least two months ago...my little carpet monkey Nicholas took it upon himself to do more than just cross himself while passing in front of the altar. Now, he'll fall to his knees and do a great prostration, sometimes holding it for an embarrassingly long time. Usually he'll get up smiling and proclaim to me while pointing to the floor: "I did that!"

Now, I cannot fathom what inspired him to start doing this. Yes, he has of course seen prostrations done (though not terribly recently when he started), but for some reason he just made the connection that the "specialness" of the altar makes it worthy of face-planting veneration...intuition of the holy, I suppose.

And while prostrations aren't technically supposed to be done on sunday mornings, do you think I am going to discourage him? Would Jesus?

Plant your head carpet monkey, plant away! We'll deal with advanced technicalities later.

Comments

Fr. David said…
heh, heh..."carpet monkey"...

It's true...our goddaughter (one of the most enthused little girls I've ever known), venerates icons with such gusto that the audible sssssmmmmack! from her kisses can be heard ouside the door to the nave. A little embarrassing if you're the one holding her, but...would to God I loved with such abandon.

Popular Posts