Our Children

One of mine broke her arm on sunday night and then beginning yesterday morning succumbed to a nasty stomach ailment which has had her bed-ridden. A rough week for her, no doubt...poor kid.

But I am more concerned about all of my kids and their future in this world. I often find myself weaving back anf forth between my old "new Christian" optimism (i.e. "We're gonna change the world for Christ!") and my much less confident "crusty old man" pessimism (i.e. "This world is screwed and it's time we hunker down and hope the sin 'fallout' doesn't kill us all.")

While Charissa has had a rough week, I fear that they all will have a rough life and I wonder about the extent that Terri Shaivo's case is indicative of this. I was sent this article and it gave me pause to think about what all of this is saying to our kids.


Thankfully, my kids are too young (I hope) to really have much of this rub off on them. But once you remove all of the political baggage being spewed that has so disgusted me, I am left in complete agreement with this writer who says:

They [our kids] are seeing a society--their society, their people--on the verge of famously accepting, even embracing, the idea that a damaged life is a throwaway life.They are seeing a society--their society, their people--on the verge of famously accepting, even embracing, the idea that a damaged life is a throwaway life.

Our children have been reared in the age of abortion, and are coming of age in a time when seemingly respectable people are enthusiastic for euthanasia. It cannot be good for our children, and the world they will make, that they are given this new lesson that human life is not precious, not touched by the divine, not of infinite value.

Much of what of what disturbs me about the politics and the unending attempts to defame the holders of opposing opinions (even apparently by one of our hierarchs!!!), is that we miss the most important point: What are we teaching our kids about life?

I mean really, who the heck cares about motives of politicians or of Michael Shaivo or of the Schindlers?

How can I explain to an 8 year old why we are starving a woman?

Comments

fdj said…
Seriously though, I wonder if we wouldn't be MUCH better off being outright persecuted and tortured and being truly dirt poor.

As it is...our souls are being starved here in America, but we'd hardly know it. A frog in slowly heating water?

The "grey" of this modern american life is so dangerous...slippery...a precipice that we can't quite see, or at least we are being told that we can't quite see it and besides, its not THAT far of a fall - so don't worry...embrace it.

I think we need to strive to ourselves remain believing in and to teach our children to believe in discernment.
Anonymous said…
James, in reading your concerns for your children - I share your concerns - they are my grandchildren!! the words of a very popular 'religious' song came to my mind - I went online to make sure I have the words right and interestingly enough - I found the words in a site called Catholic Way - an article about the song by a catholic deacon: The song was written by a very big song writer who has written just tons of christian music today, Bill Gaither.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living, just because He lives.

I put my grandkids in HIS hands and trust HIM to take care of them. In our day, that is all we can do.
OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!!!
He Cares.....

grammafaith
Anonymous said…
To badly paraphrase Alexandr Solzhenizen when talking about the difference between religion in communist Russia and the democratic west: "At least the communists took religion seriously, they feared the church enough to try and destroy it".
I agree with James that in many ways it is easier to "gird our loins" when under direct oppression.
Sorry to hear about your daughter breaking her arm, I know my father was literally beside himself when I broke both of mine.
As far as raising kids goes, I really don't know how people do it these days... I don't know what the future will bring for me, but I have a strong urge to "go Amish" when I have kids.

Popular Posts