An open letter to California

Dear California,

Can we have our rain back please? No one has answered my “Missing-Reward” signs that I put up months ago, and so I was beginning to worry. But then I saw on the news that you all were stealing and keeping our rain down there, and it seems you are rather fed up with it. (Ahhh poetic justice!) I figured you might have forgotten whom you’d stolen it from and so I am sending this out to remind you. We would happily take it back for we find our mountains are suffering greatly without their deep blankets of white and our rivers and anglers will suffer greatly when there is precious little snowmelt for the salmon to swim in.

All that being said, I want to remind you Californians – especially those in the south – that most of you live in a desert. You have no use for all that water and try as you may to keep your lawns green, it simply isn’t natural. So please return the rain to the EVERGREEN state and return to your normal state of brownness – both in the ground and in the sky.

Thanks a lot and best wishes,
Washington

Comments

Munkee said…
Buhwahahaha!!! It's our rain now!!!!

I heard this morning that Los Angeles has received 6 times the amount of rain that Portland has! Crazy!
Beniy said…
Let's be careful with the finger pointing.
Some of us Californians only complain
about the rain on Saturdays when we
want to go sailing. Rain during the rest
of the week is just fine. ; )

And...our lawns are always green. It's just with all
this rain, we have to steal less from N. CA and Colorado.
Anonymous said…
I read your blog regularly, and happen to live in Southern California. :) Some of us have enjoyed the rain, and are rather sad to see it go. Perhaps one of these days, as we have taken your rain, you might want to take our summers for a few weeks. I'd take 6 inches of rain over 100 degree weather any day. ;)
fdj said…
Aaron...we presently have 1/5 of our normal rainfall and snowpack. The old joke up here USED to be "Flush twice...california needs the water."

Frankly I am hard pressed not to see a connection between your increased water needs and ability to snag it with your new health conscious governor.

Erin - I spent most of my life in the desert of southern california...I don't now reside north of Seattle for lack of meterolgical reasons.

:)

Praying for wetter weather.
joel said…
james, you could always move here, plenty of rain and snow!

Popular Posts