Crazy

Such is the diagnosis offered to me for my malady from a number of friends…I suspect many others would also interpret my symptoms in a similar fashion were they a bit more forward with what they are likely more willing to say amidst colleagues behind closed doors. Physicians who wish to tone down the rotten core of their horrific prognosis.

I understand, truly I do and I am not wholly willing to start my grieving process with denial. I start, rather, with acceptance.

So what does it mean to accept your diagnosis of insanity? Are there medications that will make me love suburbia more? Therapy that will help me to realize that the woman I see in her robe, outside her apartments, walking her dog along the concrete and motor vehicle river in downtown Seattle a mere block and a half from her work isn’t at all crazy? A spiritual method perhaps that will assist me to love being surrounded by towering conifers (as opposed to McMansions)less? I suppose there may be a drug that will cause me to despise the notion of being far more dependent myself (and family) and my land? Group therapy might perhaps enlighten me to understand the insignificance of being able to take long walks in the woods while never leaving my own property? Maybe Paxil will cause me to realize that the one hour commute I currently have to live 15 miles from downtown in suburbia isn’t worth trading for the two hour commute I will have in order to live in the country?

I doubt it. But I accept the diagnosis, happily. Sometimes, insanity is quite relative.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Abba Antonios said: “The time is coming when people will be seized by manias and will behave like madmen. And if they see anyone acting reasonably, they will rise up against him saying: ‘You are insane.’ And they will have accurately said this to him, for he will not be like them."
Anonymous said…
Gee, James, Paxil never did that for me. It just kept me from offing myself.

Sensitivity, man, sensitivity.

Liz
fdj said…
No offense intended at all..just using an analogy to sillily describe why craziness as ascribed to me is realtive. I could have just as easily used "cancer" and "chemo" in place of "crazy" and "paxil"...but the latter seemed more appropriate given the label I'd been given.

sincere apologies.
fdj said…
Just to be clear, in case the post was overly obtuse, we are talking about people calling me crazy for wanting to live in the sticks.
Anonymous said…
Apology accepted, you future "hick from the sticks" :-)

Liz
Meg said…
You want *real* insanity?? My husband commutes three hours to Boston -- one way -- so we can live in the wilds of New Hampshire. He still seems to think it's worth it. (No argument from me!)
Susan Sophia said…
Meg, I'm so glad you shared that. It is so good to know that for some it IS worth it and we aren't the only crazy ones out there! Thank you!
Susan Sophia
Seraphima said…
James, if you find one, give it to me!

Every time I leave the sticks in which I was born and raised (about 15 minutes outside of a 'town' of 7000), I miss it more.

This country kid is never, never gonna live in a city...I think I would suffocate or something.
Meg said…
Erica, you want a real laugh? Dh and I were *born and raised in New York City*!!! You'd think we'd go stark raving out in the boonies, but we keep thinking it isn't Boonie enough for us! Is there any hope at all for us?! More to the point, do we want there to be??

Popular Posts