Deja Vu

Nope, not a glitch in the Matrix...rather a glitch in understanding.

My daughter gave a lovely little piano recital at North Creek Presbyterian Church. I noticed some Russian appearing items (a book and a tea set of somesort) in a display case - celebrating "world stuff" I assumed. But inside their sanctuary (on the back, west facing wall) was a huge hand written icon of the Holy Trinity - an excellent copy of Rublev's (check this news out).

It was somewhat astonishing and "Twilight Zony" to see, I must admit. Like seeing a picture of your Grandmother in a strangers house. I said to my wife: "Hey, that's one of ours!" and when I pointed it out to Rade, he literally jumped (still not sure if it was in jest).

Rade venerated the icon, and I told him that I bet it was the first time it had ever been done.

Anyway, it seems that NC Pres has some sort of "sister church relationship" via the WCC with Holy Trinity Cathedral (this one) in St. Petersburg. Note this account of a delegations visit to Russia.

Isn't this nice: Metropolitan Vladimir makes no secret of his years of service with the World Council of Churches, his ecumenical attitudes, and his progressive ideas, which are not always received with favor by the conservative orthodox community.
Duh, ya think?

...I presented the gifts we had brought from North Creek...Sunday School supplies
(yikes...hope everything except blank paper, crayons, and markers got filed away properly)

The hundreds of worshipers who filled the vast nave of the cathedral on Pentecost validated the significance of our relationship and our mission.
What exactly is that mission?

No mention of the fact that they were prohibited from the cup. NC Pres appears to be a pretty wealthy gathering place...I hope the only thing really being exported is goodwill and their dollars.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It was a half jest, half not jump...
Maybe we should promote such things. what better form of "guerilla Orthodoxy" than to have churches oversea send copious icons to protestant churches!

Popular Posts