Flying Home

Vegas Post #4

A few brief reflections on the last couple of days...

Well, we have made our recommendation for the Holy Synod to consider Bishop BENJAMIN. It was a wonderful service at St. Paul's in Vegas - feasibly the largest Parish I have ever attended a liturgy in. With 50 priests in attendance and a host of readers, choir members and directors, the music was stunning to me. Bishop SERAPHIM of Canada presided and at his entrance the music was especially fantastic, in my little mind one can truly see how that ancient Russian delegation to Constantinople reported back that they were unable to tell if they were on earth or in heaven.

It was lovely and I had a chance afterwards to say hello to Fr. Joseph Hirsch, who during my schooling at Regis University played a pivotal role in my becoming Orthodox. Afterwards a host of us headed out to grab a bit of animal flesh to eat (it is a fast free week after all) and we got some drinks and toasted Bishop BENJAMIN - how often does one get to have a drink with an Archimandrite. The entire affair had a very upbeat and joyful feel to it.

I've spent more social time with clergy in the last few days than I have likely done in all my previous life. Fact is, they are pretty normal human beings - even the bishops. (Well...most of them.) Fr. Christopher, Fr. Dn. Mark, and I had numerous misadventures and spent a good deal of time laughing with and at one another. To any of my California readers, if you still are with me here, we nearly paid you a visit by accident.

A couple of intriguing things I learned: Alex Rodriguez..."A-Rod" has become an Orthodox Christian and I'm told he is quite devout. Fr. Jonah and his monks brew beer and make wine, he tells me they have a great IPA.

Now I wish to investigate a profound mystery of Art Bellian proportions. One very prominent Northwest priest arrived slightly late for the diocesan election and then left – we presume - immediately after it was over. Nobody saw the means by which he arrived and nobody saw the means by which he left. Many are suggesting, unless one can provide evidence to the contrary (i.e. an airline receipt) that we may have been witness to some Ephremite teleportation going on here. Throughout our very long commute home (Fr. Christopher and I arrived home around 4 am) we oft noted with hints of jealously the number of hours that this good priest had already been home.

One last jab at Vegas. We went to dinner at a place that happened to be inside a mall. However, the mall was not content to be a mall, but rather tried to style itself as an outdoor village market complete with rain, thunder and lightning (on the hour M-Th). That pretty much sums up the whole place - most everything is one big plaster façade where people can escape reality, which is one of our favorite pastimes .

Comments

Mimi said…
ARod has become Orthodox? That's so cool! I'll have to tell my baseball loving son.

Thanks for the update. I wondered how it went.
Munkee said…
Cool trip journal, seriously. And only one jihad reference, way to go James! ;)

I'm intrigued by the mysterious priest. So long as you weren't joking, can you give more details?
fdj said…
Actually many can attest to this mystery, and while some naysayers will note that Alaska Airlines does offer enough flights to have made his brief trek possible, and will further reference the fact that he is well known to be less than fond of attending diocesan events, I remain unconvinced.

;)

Oh, and just for you: I started shouting "Allahu Akbar!" on the flight and they threw me off! Islamophobes.
Anonymous said…
hmmmm... i am guessing that i know who it was from the "less than fond of attending diocesan events." ha! I spoke to Father on the phone and he said to ask you to describe Fr Dn Mark's consumption of carbonated beverages. I also heard why you almost ended up in California.
Liz in Seattle said…
Our family now officially likes A-Rod again.

Welcome home...looking forward to hearing a few tales.

BTW, Steve's heading to Vegas in July, and he's ALWAYS happy to take a travelling companion...
Anonymous said…
vegas in july, the weather should be nice ;)
Anonymous said…
yeah james, you are only allowed to reference jihad as often as the Met and "the Word" slam Israel.
Munkee said…
The Met...you mean like the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC?? They slammed Israel?? Burn that vile establishment to the ground...and once and for all would somebody please kill the NEA!!!

BTW, James i still love these posts.
Mimi said…
Nah, he means the New York Mets. Clearly.
fdj said…
your met anon, not "the" met.

And I'm just a blow hard blogger, how can I compete with men in black with tall hats who have a publishing house and fancy digital cameras and unassailable authority....sigh....

None-the-less...go and count, I think I'm doing pretty good lately. I'm a good dhimmi...a nice dhimmi....

Popular Posts