Watching the stares

Vegas Post #1 (Not having internet access, I am posting now what I wrote over the last few days)

Presently leaving for the OCA Mission Retreat followed by the special diocesan assembly to nominate a bishop.

Walking through the airport with Fr. Christopher (in his cassock) I noticed how everyone stared at him - usually with confused expressions. However, one of the TSA agents knew to refer to him as father and Fr. Christopher noted that people who come from more traditional catholic backgrounds (in other words, not originally from the United States) often recognize him as a priest.

Save for the occasional Orthodox, everyone else gawks as politely as they can. If I could hear the thoughts of people around me as we walk down the concourse, I expect I'd hear a lot of "Whoa, what's up with that dude?"

Well, despite the traditional cramped quarters, the flight was uneventful with no need for us to use our inflatable life vests or the ramps as life rafts - I'm sure because Fr. Christopher blessed the plane as we took off.

Comments

Popular Posts