Worklist

With Spring around the corner and summer soon to follow, I have compiled my worklist of things I need to accomplish before summer is over. In no particular order:

Harvest Logs
Rade cut most of our two downed Alders into smaller pieces. They need to be hauled out to the woodshed. However, the method by which this will be done is yet to be determined. Unsure of how close I can get either of the trucks...may have to buck the wood up into smaller pieces and either roll or carry them out.

French Drain/ "dry" creek bed
At the front end of the barn and then leading through the chicken run and down the west side of our garden area we have a real drainage problem. I will install a french drain system and cover it with a rock bed that leads down and dumps it down the hill where it will run off easily.

Convert "storage shed to barn
Presently our largest outbuilding is being used as a storage shed. However, we believe it will function better as a barn for the goats. A few interior walls and a shrinking of the large opening in the front ought to do the trick.

Build a large storage shed
No explanation neccesary...need a place to store my stuff the goats will be usurping.

Goat Fencing
An area to the south and west of the barn (and including the barn) will be fully fenced for the Goats.

Garden Fencing
A large area to be connected to the chicken run will be fenced in order to keep Sue's garden safe from critters.

Replace two Windows
I still have two more windows to replace in the house.

Build Cabin/Guesthouse
It will be small (200 sq ft) and rustic (electricity but no plumbing), but it will be better for our guests than camping or cramming into the boys' room. This will be a big project, but I am planning it now. We hope to have an old fashioned "barn raising" weekend to help with the stuff where I need more than one person.

New flooring and toilet for front bathroom
I already have the supplies, just need to find the motivation.

Finish upstairs room
Need more mudding/tape and paint and then carpet. Again, all I need is motivation.

Extra Pasture for goats
Exact placement is yet to be determined.

The money for these projects is supposed to arrive today...so, no excuses. Anyone bored and need something to do? I'll provide beer and...say a month's supply of eggs or something.
:)

Comments

Munkee said…
I've always wondered what farmers do with eggs and milk during Lent. Any idea?
Susan Sophia said…
I've often wondered what they do/did in the old country where nearly the whole village is Orthodox. But in todays society I believe we will sell our eggs and make cheese with the milk for use after Pascha/Advent. MMMMM sounds good!
Liz in Seattle said…
Better start making some non-Orthodox friends!
fdj said…
Prior to refrigeration I have no idea...canning, pickling I suppose. Eggs you buy at the store can keep for up to 5 weeks....homegrown eggs wrapped in plastic can keep for up to two months.

Expect a lot of cheese from the Ferrenbergs during at Pascha 2009.
Anonymous said…
I remember hearing that some Russian cathedrals were built using eggs as mortar. Perhaps the mortar was made during lent?
Anonymous said…
Well a cheese aged 40 days will just be that much better, otherwise milk is great for fattening up pigs.

I really must insist that all of us involved in the barn-raising adopt "Amish" names for the weekend...
Anonymous said…
I claim Brother Azariah


sf
Mimi said…
I think the best part of this post is the comments. Egg mortar - yikes!

Maybe they let the eggs fertilize during Lent?

And, hey, goats?
Susan Sophia said…
Yes, goats! In fact I just spoke to a lady I met through Church who has a Nubian goat (great milker) ready to kid April 1st. We have first dibs on the kids if they are does! I can't wait!
We better get ready!
Mimi said…
Cool!

I am sure I've shared this before, but my husband grew up raising goats.

Popular Posts