How Jesus Died

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... I "guest" taught a junior high sunday school class in which I offered a series intended to reveal the horrors of crucifixion. I went into vivid medical and emotional detail about how Jesus suffered for us...bringing into the classroom illustrative instruments such as huge nails and a hammer. In the end, I imagine the intent was to illicit an emotional response to the tortures Jesus endured in our place. I am rather certain that Gibson's new movie The Passion (You may view the trailer HERE) with it's brutal and graphic portrayal of the crucifixion would have been most agreeable to me had I seen it back then.

But take a look at an Orthodox Icon of the Crucifixion.

We must note that it is certainly not intended to demonstrate historical and literal accuracy, as much as it is presenting to us the unseen reality of what is happening on Golgotha - Jesus the King is willingly and in dignified manner giving himself up to the cross. Compare and contrast this iconography with the western crucifix many of us are familiar with. Does the seeming desire of us westerners to "gorifying" (note the intentional lack of the letter "L") the cross stem from a foundational emphasis on substituionary atonement theology? Must we make Christs' suffering seem comparable to an enternity in hell (which is in essence what He is supposed to be enduring for us)?

It fascinates me that Orthodox Holy Week hymnology often proclaims words like: "Glory to your Passion O Lord."

I feel strange about the gore of Gibson's film (as well as what is often portrayed in western art). Shouldn't there be some portrayal of dignity in what is happening at the cross? How do we communicate the fact that Jesus is fully embracing what is happening to Him? His silence? In Orthodox hymnology (again) we are told that the Transfiguration had this intention.

I dunno...just thinking out loud here folks. I think I might prefer a sort of iconographic film which is more interested in developing the REAL story of what is happening. The cross without Holy Saturday and the Glory of Pascha, is empty. Yet, I'm not sure that western theology neccesitates this truth - at least not in the same way.

I may actually end up NOT enjoying Mel's film...but I will reserve judgement.

Comments

Popular Posts