Icons, not at home

A simple Yahoo search on "alternative worship" will yield some intriguing results. One of which is was this one which includes a photographic archive of alternative worship events being done by a wide variety of groups (Episcopal, Baptist, and small home church communities.) I was actually introduced to this site by a friend, but in the yahoo search found other things that were equally interesting to me.

Quite frankly, I like much of what these folks are doing...and were I not where I am today, I would no doubt be wholly into this "scene" (if I may call it that.) Yes, yes, yes...if I had not allowed the ancients to answer my questions such as: What is Church? Where does authority lie? What ought we to believe and practice? Amongst others, you might have seen my face in those archives. That is neither here nor there.

What struck me was that in several of these events (only one that I could see at alternativeworship.org, but on other pages I saw examples as well) was the utilization of well known Orthodox icons in their events. When I saw them in the pictures they immediately stuck out to me (even when being used as a sort of backdrop)...I know these! They are like old familiar friends...but they certainly seem out of place! Now, don't get me wrong, Icons are not copywritten (that I know of!) and so of course people are welcome to use them in any way they see fit...but I wonder if they at all understand the significance of them? Do they understand the heart, soul, spirit, and theology which inspired their writing?
Perhaps you migth ask: what difference does it make if they understand or not?

I guess it doesn't...but are the icons "public domain"? Not legally, but more philosophically and religiously, these "windows into heaven" are precious to us...dare I say Holy, even? Yes, I do. Are they demeaned at all by having someone take them out of their natural environment and use them as they see fit...even if done relatively reverently? True enough, I saw no group using an actual icon (whether laminated reproductions or originals), rather they seem to prefer to have the image photographed and projected onto screens...sometimes as mere background to render, I suppose, a certain ambience to the room. Yikes, this feels ugly to this Orthodox Christian. But maybe I am just being petty.

Let me relate a true story. My wife recently met at my kids' swim lessons a woman whose family structure was very much like our own. Four kids of similar age and all being homeschooled as well. They began dialoguing quite abit and as it turns out the woman's husband teaches at the old AG Bible college I used to go to. Upon hearing that we were Eastern Orthodox, the woman happily proclaimed:

"Oh YES! We just read about them in our ancient history coursework!"

Well standing in front of this woman was my wife..."living" history. Of course, no offense was intended (I'm sure she didn't realize how what she said sounded) and none was taken, but come on now...the Orthodox are not a thing of history! It is the largest Christian body in the world, second only to the Roman Catholic Church. She has spent much of her history in bondage, but thrives yet and is unintentionally (funny enough) converting more and more western Christians to her ways. She is like a gem, long hidden from western eyes, and she is full of life despite the dust.

Her Icons are likewise something greater than objects to be studied in art history classes. They are equally alive and a highly regarded part of our worship. They are intimately linked to our faith and I caution that care ought to be taken by other christian groups who wish to use them. While I cringe a little at seeing them used as "background" decor, some other Orthodox Christian who may not understand the innocent ignorance behind such useage could take very profound offense.

Beware...these are treasured religious objects of a LIVING FAITH...and NOT some uncopywritten piece of historic religious art.

Comments

Popular Posts