Nativity of the Theotokos

Today is technically the After Feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos, last Monday (the 8th) was the actual feast day. Suprisingly Skete didn't seem to have any icons of the Nativity, but I ran accross this one displayed above: "Nursing of the Christ Child." I think a stronger title would be: "Nursing God."

My wife has a little icon like this...it is amazing to ponder what is displayed therein.

Why do you suppose that Orthodoxy brought the magnitude of what is expressed in this icon to our attention, whereas, in my experience, evangelicalism tends to shrug its shoulders at it? Why does it seem so important to me now...so pressing...and yet before it hardly crossed my mind at all? Seriously, I want to know what has inspired this change? What theological underpinnings have altered to bring me nearly to tears in looking upon this little icon?

Comments

Popular Posts