The Breath of Adam

If you are like me, you either do not or did not know anything about someone named Spyridon. I certainly had never heard of Saint Spyridon (sometimes spelled Spiridon) when I attended my first Orthodox service at the cathedral in Seattle which bears his name...but as with many things I have since been enlightened.

Today is his feast day and no doubt the people on the island of Corfu (where his relics are kept) are having a wonderful celebration and I hope those friends and brothers of mine who call the cathedral home have an equally joyous feast...alas I am unable to attend either today or tomorrow.

You can read more about this venerable saint here.

In relation to the title of this post, in Ouspensky's Theology of the Icon he shows us a 14th century Icon of Sts. Spyridon and Blaise in which they are referred to as "Protectors of Animals." Ouspensky notes the relatively frequent portrayal of animals in iconography and also the strange relationship that often exists between deified men and animals...and furthermore the effect that holiness has on the entire created world! Now, THAT is a new twist on environmentalism, huh? Protect and preserve the environment by pursuing Theosis.

Anyway Ouspensky relates to us, in regards to the Life of St. Isaac the Syrian,
that the animals that came to him, smelled in him the odor Adam exhaled before his fall.

This being the case, it is a wonder that my dog doesn't try and eat me. If you know my dog's culinary preferences, you'll get this.

Comments

Popular Posts