Pilate’s Question put to my Children

BUMP
The accompanying screams and crying notifies me to the fact that the aforementioned noise was someone’s body hitting the floor…nothing unusual. Pounding feet rush into the living room to report the events to me.

“She pushed me!” cries one.

“No I didn’t!” protests the other.

Well, alas my omniscience and omnipresence have both been on the blink lately and so there is little hope for me to be able to ascertain the truth on this matter, but of course I ask none-the-less.

“What is the truth?”

In the split second before voices are raised in answer to my absurd question, I noticed that one of the girls’ eyes shot hard to their left in order to gaze upon the family icon corner…perhaps to see if we were being watched? But the potentiality of this being a lie detecting event was for me over shadowed by memory of the same question being asked of Jesus Christ by Pontius Pilate.

Truth has little to do with any sort of intellectual premise. We all know why, when Pilate asked the question, Jesus remained silent: Like my daughter, the answer was right before Pilate's eyes. Truth is a person…and a person, unlike an idea, possesses an image. We can literally see Truth. And as my daughter debated whether to tell the truth, she took a moment to look at the Truth.

Consider this, We can do MUCH more than speak the Truth, we can, and do, SHOW the Truth. Can you see the Protestant-Orthodox dichotomy here again? Ten years or so ago, if I had been asked: What is Truth? I very likely would have presented the inquisitor with a Bible…but today I might just as quickly be inclined to show them the Icon corner in my house…the same place where my daughter was seeking truth just yesterday.

She found Him.


Comments

Popular Posts