Postmodern vs. Modern Truth

From Water's Edge I was introduced to an article by Chuck Colson (apparently he is well known?) in Christianity Today in which he rakes postmodernism over the coals...kinda. Anyway, Brian McLaren, writes an 8 page letter of response which as of this morning I have read three times.

I have often told my po-mo friends NOT to label me as a "modern", I think I prefer to call myself "pre-modern" if for no other reason than the age of my Church. But, frankly, I am not sure I understand post-modernism any better than Brian says that Chuck understands it. But there are some things that trouble me about Brian's letter that I am still formulating and may perhaps post this weekend..I dunno.

One question about "metanarratives." Don't or won't the post-moderns have their own metanarratives just like the moderns did? And really, isn't there NOTHING inherently wrong with metanarratives? Shouldn't the content and context of metanarratives be the judge of their moral quality?

My whole bus ride home yesterday was spent with me being desirous of sitting down with Seraphim (my Orthodox post-mod guru) with some bourbon and asking him: "What is truth?"



Comments

Popular Posts