The growing schism

Part of what sealed the BIG schism's fate was the ongoing growth in different directions...or some would argue the movement of one and the abiding of the other. And by this I do not mean theology alone, but also the community experience in general.

But I had not thought that this odd issue would remind me of the growing schism.

I had not considered that Christmas falling on a Sunday would present a dilemma to anyone...rather I perceived it to be a profound convenience! Like killing two birds with one stone! (Yes, I am a sloth!) But think about the difference of mindsets that sees either logic or incongruity in this expression: Christmas is a time for family and not for church?

It is telling that these megachurches have such a hard time having services because their productions are such...productions.

I suppose if my po-mo friends kept with the ancient tradition of meeting on sundays that they would have much less of a problem in this regard...but from the my perspective, there really isn't a clear and distinct separation of Church and Family.

One of the most profound experiences of the Christian faith, seemingly demands that we gather together to experience and TASTE the culmination of that mystery. And on a SUNDAY even: kaching!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Forgive me, but I can only convey my thoughts on reading that article about "churches" that are going to close on Christmas Sunday with the phase:
Are you sh*tting me?!
I hate to involve myself with the "Christmas tree is a pagan symbol, etc, etc" set, but it really boils down to the fact that these people are going to be worshipping at the altar of the Christmas tree, complete with gifts, instead of going to church and worshipping the Incarnate Lord. Things like this sometimes make me think I am in the Twilight Zone...
Mimi said…
I have to admit, though, the former Catholic in me does tend to go to church on Nativity Eve and not go on Christmas Day.
Alana said…
maybe I should put a flyer on the door of Southland Christian Church, inviting them to St. Athanasius for Christmas morning services????
emily said…
it really boils down to the fact that these people are going to be worshipping at the altar of the Christmas tree, complete with gifts, instead of going to church and worshipping the Incarnate Lord.

couldn't have said it better myself...
Terry (John) said…
I read this article in my local newspaper this morning, and it ruined my breakfast. I think this reveals some of the true colors of the megachurch craze. They say that they are just speaking to our culture in a language that our culture can understand. But what this shows is that they are actually just a creation of our culture. They have sold out to the secular Christmas of trees, gifts, Santa Claus and "family time." Reading between the lines, I can imagine how the decision-making process went: "Well, with such a limited number in the audience, it just wouldn't be cost efficient to heat up the auditorium and put on a production." Geez. Now that they are shutting down on Christmas and New Years, one wonders what they're going to do on Superbowl Sunday. The fact that any church that calls itself Christian (outside of 7th day Adventists, I suppose)would choose, for whatever reason, not to assemble on ANY Sunday just blows my mind. And it shows a very real disconnect between them and the historic faith of the last two millenium. Lord have mercy!

Popular Posts