Ticket Sales over the weekend

1. "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," $67.1 million.

2. "Syriana," $12 million.

3. "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," $10.3 million.

Have you all read some of the reviews for Narnia? Notice the anti-Christian bias, even in positive reviews: "Despite it's overarching Christian themes..."

I hope this movie rakes in the cash...if for no other reason than to annoy reviewers who will be forced to see more and more family friendly films that might even have Christian themes. Heck I'd go see it a couple times for that reason alone...but then...I am an extremist.

In contrast, "Brokeback Mountain" which is bound and determined to render every hunting/fishing trip suspect (yeah, we really needed to encourage "the manly man is really a repressed homosexual" sterotype Hollywood, thanks), is receiving rave reviews, "despite nothing."

Anyone seen Narnia yet?

Comments

Anonymous said…
From the Independent:

"On the minus side, the daring-adventure content feels routine rather than truly exciting, and we feel something less than awe when that Christ surrogate, the lion Aslan (voiced by Liam Neeson), lopes in. He has a magnificent mane, to be sure: how many gigabytes, you wonder, per strand of sun-kissed hair? The one certifiably child-scaring scene is Aslan's sacrifice, as he's shackled and shorn by armies of Bosch-like demons, yet his subsequent resurrection, fully furred once more, is neither plausible nor dramatically satisfying (of course, some have thought the same about Lewis's original inspiration, but let's not go there)."

I have not yet seen the movie, though I intend to. I find the sighs of relief coming from reviewers, 'whew, it wasn't too religious. I guess people can read in to it whatever they want. And at least kids won't get it unless its explained to them. etc.' immensley amusing.
Mimi said…
I get to see it with our Altar Boys next week, and am looking forward to it.

(whispers - I also think that "Brokeback Mountain" looks good, though, the lyricalness of her writing should translate well to the screen)
Joshua said…
Saw “Narnia” Friday night and loved it. Adamson did a great job.
fdj said…
his subsequent resurrection, fully furred once more, is neither plausible

Resurrection implausible? Whodathunkit?????
Anonymous said…
I contributed $18 to the 67.1 million last night. I thought it was great, although I don't think there IS a way to translate the majesty of Aslan onto the screen. And due to the shortness of it, you also don't see the sweet relationship building between Aslan and Lucy, so the devastation of his death is lessened. Susan and Lucy did remind me very much of the Myrrh-bearing women. The sacrifice scene is pretty frightening, but I was glad to see that they avoided showing any actual gore, then or in the battles. You see his face, but not the actual death blow. I wouldn't take small children, as it can be pretty intense and the witch and her minions are SCARY, but they were sensitive to the fact that it would be a largely young audience.

I think anyone who grew up loving the books will feel that it just goes SO FAST - it's always difficult to see a book, in which you love every page, every description, the long thought processes of the characters... translated into 2 hours of screen time. All said though, I thought they did a great job.

And as I said on my blog, the centaurs are WICKED COOL!

Popular Posts