Richard Dawkins

Through my dealings with my beloved atheist I have had many an encounter with Richard Dawkins' work. And while he is an very interesting read, what he fails to notice is the mirror he is looking at when he levels claims of bias and contradiction against religious people.

Here is an interview I stumbled upon at Beliefnet.

Dawkins has as big an agenda and bias as ANY Christian writer I have EVER read, and yet he continually tosses about such accusations to discredit anyone who might challenge ANY aspects of evolutionary theory...and more than that he outright dismisses the notion of God as being an asinine theory precisely because it cannot be proven by science. And yet when pressed on the issue admits: " Obviously, there are other things having nothing to do with science—music, poetry, sex, love. These are all things that make life, to me, extremely worth living."

Note the omission of God or religion in his list? How is it that music, poetry, love and EVEN sex (how many scientists would shoot him down on THAT one?) all make the list of things that have nothing to do with science and make "life...worth living", but not religion? These things may escape the all knowing entity of science, but not God? Why?

When asked what he would think if his daughter became religious, he answers: "I think she’s much too intelligent to do that..." Wow...now that's some serious arrogance.

As always, the search for something bigger than ourselves is present, even in Dawkins who says : "I think there is something glorious in the universe, in contemplating the Milky Way galaxy, in contemplating the fact that this is only one in billions of galaxies, contemplating the fact that at the beginning of the 21st century, humanity really has gone a very long way toward understanding the universe in which we live and the life form of which we are a part. I find that a truly inspirational thought....My book, 'Unweaving the Rainbow,' is an attempt to elevate science to the level of poetry and to show how one can be—in a funny sort of way—rather spiritual about science. Not in a supernatural sense, but there are uplifting mysteries to be solved. The contemplation of the size and scale of the universe, of the depth of geological time, of the complexity of life--these all, to me, have an inspirational quality. It makes my life worthwhile to study them."

Furthermore, Dawkins sheds light on the issue that finally sent me looking for something deeper than outright materialism and "darwinism" within that context. In this article, he discusses the fact that materialism and natural selection preach certain guiding principals which people can and should reject. Absolute and highly intelligent hedonism IS that guiding principal. Dawkins writes:

I prefer to agree that natural selection is the dominant force in biological evolution, admit its unpleasantness, and fight against it as a human being. I hear the bleak sermon of the Devil's Chaplain as a call to arms. As an academic scientist I am a passionate Darwinian, believing that natural selection is, if not the only driving force in evolution, certainly the only known force capable of producing the illusion of purpose which so strikes all who contemplate nature. But at the same time as I support Darwinism as a scientist, I am a passionate anti-Darwinian when it comes to politics and how we should conduct our human affairs. I have always held true to the closing words of my first book, 'We, alone on earth, can rebel against the tyranny of the selfish replicators.'

Hmmm...further on he writes:

the historic process that caused you to exist is wasteful, cruel and low. But exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of the members of that species; but there lies hope.

And my question: hope for what? And more importantly (maybe he tries to address this in his book on which this article is derived), why should I give a damn? You see this is what ruined my atheism, for I could not reconcile these two questions with the hedonism I at once yearned for and despised. If the materialism preached by Dawkins is correct, then I would be stupid to live any sort of life that does anything more than bring me profound pleasure and comfort - and THAT would be growing up and facing reality - not denying God and yet still clinging to the better angels of our nature.

So while I applaud Dawkins for recognizing the need for and indeed the general inclination of people to not be guided by the principals of materialism, I cannot get past his arrogance when he labels people who question evolution as "ignorant, stupid or insane...or wicked." (Did he say wicked?) Perhaps arrogance is a battle he might consider fighting in his rebellion against his own selfish genes?

But of course, why should he?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Aside from people who believe that Genesis is a science text book, why does anyone think that the theory of evolution has anything to do with the existence of God? One can believe that matter is sufficient unto itself whether or not there is a theory of evolution. Likewise, one can believe that evolution is simply the manifestation of God's plan for world. This evolution thing that people have looks to me as intelligent as getting worked up about the law of gravity. Things are attracted to the center of the earth. Get over it!

-Rick
fdj said…
Well Dawkins is the example that demonstrates that even scientists can tned to think evolution is detrimental to the existence of God.

I agree with, and miss you Rick.
Munkee said…
I have a question related to theistic-evolution that a priest/friend brought up and it has really had me thinking...since evolution relies on death as a central element of it's process, can it be something we attribute to God?
fdj said…
Wow, Aaron, that is a tough question.
Gonna bring this to the top.
Anonymous said…
I think some people get worked up because militant evolutionists erroneously (and unscientifically, I might add) believe that evolutionary theory somehow refutes creation ex nihilo. A mere moment's thought should reveal to anyone how incoherent that "reasoning" is, and its opponents should just quietly point that out, and move on. Any scientist who thinks that any version of evolutionary theory can possibly explain design, let alone the existence/appearance of matter as such, ceases at that moment to be a scientist. However, I also would suggest that if one is a bit insecure about one's position, then one feels threatened, and then all the shouting starts.

I think it's a mistake to think that any form of evolutionary theory (theistic or not) is just as verifiable/falsifiable as the law of gravity. Be that as it may, when I choose to debate with evoutionists (which is rarely), I just try to get them to take empiricism and the scientific method seriously. This is usually enough to get them to reveal themselves as the purveyors of a world and life view that is ultimately religious.

--- Gary Patrick

Popular Posts