Lumen de Lumine 2

Recall my previous post with regard to this presentation at Notre Dame.

I still find myself reflecting upon the experience, which is, I suppose, a very good thing. As a less important side to the program I should also note my surprise at how evangelical the event was...decidedly not what I would have expected from the Roman Catholics in a world renowned ancient church ridden with tourists. I applaud them for it...the presentation ended with an exhortation to explore and learn more about Jesus Christ by taking the time to read the Bible this Nativity season.

Light from light, True God of True God

May the majesty and mystery of the Incarnation flood us...overwhelm us...drown us...break us...rebuild us. I have been listening to Handel's Messiah a good deal this Advent and have greatly been blessed by it. I am particularly fond of the Isaiah 9:6 chorus, wherein during the naming portion of the song the strings just go volumetrically nuts (note: I am not a professional music reviewer, just in case you were wondering) and it really lifts your spirits.

No matter what, the feasts and fasts of the Church are supposed to change and grow us. In a real sense: to save us. Dive in...and like St. John's Chrysostom says in his Paschal homily, it is never too late to do so. We MAKE the Christmas "spirit" happen by pariticpating in it.

Comments

Munkee said…
Great thoughts James.

I LOVE Handel...listen to Messiah often and find great encouragement in it. Have you ever heard Bach's Mass in B Minor? Pick up the Gardner double disc recording with the Flemish painting on the cover. Seriously, the most mind blowing piece of music that I have ever experienced.
Mimi said…
We do indeed! I've been struck this Nativity Fast by my contemplations on the Incarnation. Next year, who knows what I'll be struck by.
Susan Sophia said…
Aaron (and James),
I just ordered it from the library...I look forward to listening to it.
Munkee said…
Susan, you folks have the BEST library system!!! No late fees right? My aunt lives in Chelan and ordered Facing East, they shipped it to her from another library(this was a year or two ago)...i just can't believe that public institution can actually serve the public!!! What a concept.
fdj said…
Good to know my taxes are doing something worthwhile I suppose.

Popular Posts