More interesting studies

Sexualization of young girls cause them future problems
. Another big "Well DUH!" Once again the psychological sciences are playing catch up with common sense. I have not had time to read the full report or the "What parents can do" section at the APA, but really now...do we have to?

Turn the damn media off. I'm sorry to cuss but this is just asinine. Do you REALLY think it would do any good to have a sit down with junior and explaining to him that girls are more than objects or explaining to our 11 year old daughters that they shouldn't worry so much about their weight and THEN let them going on watching the crap that is vomited out on TV or the fecal matter masquerading as art or music? How about what they must endure in school? If you really want to protect your girls, you are going to have to remove them to some degree from the influence of pop culture. A nice bastion of moral values within which they have been brought up might also help...DUH! Somehow I doubt the APA is going to save our girls.

However, this columnist is on the right track: Daddy.

Nothing should surprise us about today's youth. Our PC "I'm okay, you're okay" indoctrination appears to be raising a generation of narcissists. Heck I began seeing this in my own generation (Yep, I'm part of it!) and now we see it coming to fruition. Kids who can do no wrong and IF they do we either diagnose it as a disease or we push the blame upon society and throw money at it. We are moving further and further away from the notion of personal responsibility...rather we continue to hurl ourselves toward an all encompassing spirit of entitlement. When things don't work out I think one symptom of this narcissism can rear its ugly head: high school shooting rampages and kids building bombs in their garages why Mom and Dad apparently ignore them trusting that the government school will make fine upstanding citizens of them.

We are beginning to reap what we have sowed. We are trusting in a secular, a VERY secular society to teach our children morality...a baseless morality. Sex education from the government? Sex, that thing we are NOW trying to tell our daughters is special, sacred, and not represented properly by the media? Schools will follow APA guidelines, but it will be too late...already the kids (being smart as they are) are seeing the hollowness of PC morality. How can schools compete with the sexual morality and images one can find on MTV, in the Fashion Magazines, in the public lives of people like Anna Nicole and Brittany Spears, in the fun to be had by presidents with young interns (no harm no foul), etc etc etc. Why should such a study surprise us? Do what feels good...deny any wrong doing...if that fails blame substances, genetics, or society. Do it....we'll believe you and we'll buy your book after you go on Oprah.

It may take a village, but a village full of moral idiocy? Better move.

Comments

Well said. I fear so much for my seven year old daughter. Every day I see the love in her eyes and I realize how much she adores me and I remember that the decisions I make will have long-term consequences for her. Such a responsibility. Trying to be an adequate father has made me a much better man.

I of course also realize that the love we have for our children is the love God has for us. Just as we want to save them and keep them safe, He wants the same for us.

Such a wonderful Creator we serve.
fdj said…
I agree with you Patrick. However, I would just caution that we are not all monks and nuns and neither can we live as they do...meaning that we STILL must deal on a social and political level with this world. (for example, if you are a property owner you will then find yourself dealing with political issue.)

As you well note, recognizing bad examples and turning the media off is not THE "solution" however they certainly are an important part of raising children IN this world.

I guess I don't see this as an either-or proposition. If "getting back to nature" or "simplicity" feeds your soul and brings forth good fruit (as I believe it can) then why bother NOT engaging that? Monks and nuns ESCAPE...how is that necessarily different? If a conservative or liberal political agenda is a good thing and will do good for people...why NOT support it? Debate it? Discuss it? Must we dismiss land usage regulations no matter how it may effect our everyday lives simply because in the grand scheme of salvation it really doesn't matter?

I think one can wholly support a political agenda (I certainly have MANY I support) and yet always be cognizant of the fact that THAT is no more a means to truly redeeming the world than taking my garbage out or deciding where to put the hogs. They can be important.

Surely you are not advocating being completely apolitical? You are not encouraging us to avoid voting? Surely we are not condemned to some notion of falsity or idolatry if we vote our conscience and that happens to fall in line with ANY particular political agenda, right?

Politics will not save us...but then again in the truest sense of the word, neither will the cancer research we do here...but I think I'll keep on it.

I sense your "issue" Patrick - you feel many (perhaps including me) have made an idol of conservative politics. I don't think that is the case. My idolatry typically doesn't extend much further than my skin.
fdj said…
Well I think your "paranoia" is completely understandable, Patrick. I too have seen politics raised up beside the cross in many of my evangelical experiences. It was...and is sickening.

All of the world is left behind - in a real way - when we enter into the Divine Liturgy. One of many things that has made Orthodoxy so appealing to me...a democrat to my left, a republican to my right...doesn't matter at the chalice.

Arguing over politics might be akin to playing chess, albeit with potentially real consequences. I admit (and repent) of enjoying debates too much...like forking an opponent on the board, it just feels too good.

In any event, I take your caution to heart. I do far more good in the world with the time I spend with my kids than I do in the voting booth.
And it's nice to see science confirming that in these articles...even if they have trouble vocalizing it.

Popular Posts