Slain in the Spirit

You've likely seen pentecostal's smack their brethren in the head and then watched the recipient collapse into a heap of physical and spiritual bliss. They call this being "slain in the spirit."

It being ever necessary in the "Bible-believing" context for everything to have a scriptural basis, the "slayers in the spirit" seized upon John 18:5-6

Whom are you seeking?” They answered Him, “Jesus of Nazareth.” Jesus said to them, “I am He.” And Judas, who betrayed Him, also stood with them. Now when He said to them, “I am He,” they drew back and fell to the ground.

Ahem, yeah right. Anyway Fr. C recently enlightened me to an interpretation (which seems eminently obvious to me now) that in all my years as an evangelical I'd never heard: Jesus was uttering the unutterable Divine Name ("I AM"), and that this could very naturally elicit the dramatic response from the pious Jews who'd come to get Him.

Comments

Mimi said…
What an excellent point that Father C. has.

Popular Posts