Taper-Bearer

Well these prayers are the sorts that will wake you up when you are the "N":

O Lord God, Supreme Sovereign, select this Thy servant N. and sanctify him, and enable him to perform with all wisdom and understanding the reading and teaching of Thy Divine Word, and preserve him in a blameless life, through the mercy and kindness of Thine Only-Begotten Son, with Whom Thou are blessed, together with Thy most Holy, Good and Life-creating Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages...My son, the Order of Reader is the first step in the Priesthood. Therefore, it becomes thee as thou readest the Divine Scriptures daily, to strive after virtue, so that those who listen to thee may receive edification. Never allow any blemish to disgrace the order which thou hast received, that thou mightest prepare thyself for a higher order. And living peacefully in righteousness and holiness, thou shalt win favor with God and obtain a superior ministry, through Jesus Christ our Lord, to Whom belongeth all glory, honor, and adoration, together with His Eternal Father and with the most Holy, Good and Life-creating Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Ahem...ummm...a bit more to this than just wearing a dress and chanting, eh?

In any event, I am honored - though unworthy - to serve the Church in this function. Sue has a few pics, my favorite of which is of me being "manhandled" by the subdeacon, which kinda looks like a still from some new reality show perhaps called "LitrugiCOPS." My grateful thanks to all who took the time to attend, I recognize it as being no small thing to do so.

I found a generous bit of information about and for Readers at the Diocese of the West website, check it out.

Comments

Mimi said…
Somehow, I'd never heard the taper bearer part before yesterday. It was such a blessing to see your tonsuring, Many Years!
Many years, James!
Anonymous said…
We're hoping Chris will be tonsured a reader (finally - long wait) at the bishop's visit this fall. I'm going to send him this post.

Congratulation and many years, Reader James!
Munkee said…
Congratulations brother!! Wish we could have been there.

What did you end up reading?
layne (herman) said…
What is the reference to "taper-bearer?"

Many years!
Anonymous said…
Many years!!!
I'm sorry I missed it, but I'm enjoying all the learning down here.
fdj said…
Taper Bearer is the official/older/no longer in popular use title, but is actually retained at the beginning of the rite. I suspect the evolution of the "Reader" from Taper Bearer also involved additional duties.

See the Orthodox section of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader_%28liturgy%29

Aaron...not entirely sure. The Bishop randomly selects a passage and I actually TRIED to note which one it was...but could only discern that it was from Acts, somewhere around chapter three.

According to The Apostol, I recall the formal Epistle reading of the day was #181.

But I will confess to being nervous enough to warrant doubt of my recollection.
Anonymous said…
Congrats! May God grant you many years!
S.F. said…
Congratulations, sir! I'm glad to see the ancient office revived.

-Seraphim

Popular Posts