Charity...whose job?

Charity used to be exclusively an issue of religion. I think it still is, even if we fail to realize it. Outside of the context of religion nothing should ever motivate me except self interest - if this is not so, please enlighten me. Thus, I suppose, if poverty endangers me - say through crime - then I might feel motivated to do something about poverty. But otherwise, love (read:God) is the real author of true Charity.

The Church used to be the arbiter of all things charitable. Consider, where did panhandlers or beggars or the disabled gather in order to receive alms? Churches and Temples as services began and ended. As MASSIVE numbers of people poured into services, they would distribute their gifts to the needy...and, of course, the Church herself would do all manner of social work...often (as in a number of Orthodox countries) directly in the service or at least support of the state.

But today...as the Church is splintered and unused by so many, it just isn't practical anymore to rely on her goodwill and her inspiration to take care of the needy. Here in Washington, for instance, the majority of people sleep in on Sundays...or if you are a hip pomo Christian - the majority of Washintonians do not know you even exist. My point: there are no traffic jams on Sunday mornings.

The government has taken over the job. I have problems with this...though I cannot offer any solutions, because I believe it is equally unchristian to do nothing for the poor as it is to force an unbelieving rich man to do something for the poor. I don't believe Jesus ever said to steal from the rich and give to the poor.

But the government isn't alone, we alos have private charitable organizations that are working as well - fueled by voluntary donations and this to me seems like a better alternative than the government doing the work. Naturally this makes my political decision making difficult, because every seemingly "good" deed such as providing more moeny for low income housing rarely actually has any tax effect on me personally. For you see, I hardly pay any taxes at all! And so in essence I end up voting to make someone ELSE help the poor.

It's sad, really, that we have reached the state in the "post-modern" world where the Church has lost its prominent role in feeding the hungry. Which isn't to say that Christians and churches all over the world are not actively involved in innumerable charitable activities...it's just that we have not the unified voice of conscience we once had...and we certainly cannot compete with the power of the state to help the needy - even if they are doing it through involuntary tithing.

Comments

Popular Posts