The Wussification of America

Studies have apparently revealed that over the last 20 years American males have seen a steady decline in the serum testosterone levels. Apparently no one is able to come up with an explanation. Of course I discovered the reason this weekend.

First let me add that I suspect the levels have been falling for much longer than just the last 20 years - I just thing we don't have good enough data prior to then. Thus, I believe the reason that American men are more and more become big wusses is because they rarely if ever chop wood anymore.

I'll tell you what, go out and spend a few hours chopping wood and then tell me you don't feel like a manly man. A tired kinda manly man, but holy cow, sit down on the front porch with a beer and a BB gun to shoot squirrels from an easy chair kinda manly man.

Few things bring as much testosterone ridden satisfaction as watching your heavy axe hurled over your head and down to split a log, sending the pieces flying like NPR movie reveiwers rushing to see "Brokeback Mountain." 'Cept maybe waking up the next morning and feeling the pain and knowing you've contributed to your family's survival...or at least to your family's not having to use electric heat.

I expect if we were to include log splitting in our elementary schools we'd see a lot less wusses. Yeah, a few trauma center level accidents, but that too would go a long way to end our wussification.

Arghhhhh, I feel the testosterone flowing...I'm gonna go buy some power tools.

Comments

Meg said…
Forget it. You'll never get the teachers to agree. What! Have testosterone-charged little males running with miniature axes around the schoolyard?! HOW UN-FEMINIST!!! ;-)

On a more serious note, please be advised that my husband tore a tendon in his wrist chopping wood, and two doctors told him the only thing they could do was fuse bones in his wrist so the joint wouldn't rub against the exposed nerves. Not that you shouldn't chop -- just use care. More safety stuff, I know. Can't help wondering how much OSHA has contributed to the wussification process -- despite that being my husband's field....
Anonymous said…
E'Gad WoodRow, you better be saving some of that wood for me!


sf

Popular Posts