Saying from a Desert Father hits me on the head

This month marks the 4th year of this place. If nothing else, I expect it will be something my kids can read and ascertain the extent of my insanity when they seek to have me committed. And though I think I got the counter started more than a year into it, we none-the-less just surpassed the 100,000 mark.

I've changed a good deal over the last four years. For the better? Has trying to practice an Orthodox life had a positive effect on me? Am I a better husband? A better father? Am I a better human being? Have I purified my heart moreso? Can I see God therefore more clearly? Have I seen visions? Have I spoken in tongues? Have I healed the sick? Well...

I found this one in an old post:

Someone asked an old man, "How is it that some say, 'We see visions of angels'?" And he replied, "Blessed is he who always sees his sins."

That'll put me in my place, eh? And to be honest, I cannot very well answer the above questions, but I do believe I can see my sins more clearly...sometimes...usually.

Comments

Meg said…
Which is more than most of us can do.

Meanwhile, if nothing else, your blog provides Orthodox "entertainment," which is better than what usually passes for entertainment in this society, and it's almost always thought-provoking, too.

Oh, PS: You needn't worry about your kids having you committed; the U.S. Government will eventually get around to doing that to all Orthodox Christians.

Popular Posts