“Wood”

I can recall the first time that I read the “Chronicles of Narnia” to my oldest daughter and having to explain to her that “wood” sometimes meant “forest” and that the English particularly used the term as such. I suspected then, that the name of Winnie the Pooh’s stomping grounds now made a lot more sense to her – perhaps up until then Pooh spent his time meandering about upon an exceptionally long 2x4.

Now, the advertising industry’s notion (see previous post) that there is no reason to change reality (e.g. your beer recipe), only people’s perception of it (e.g. it really does taste good no matter what you think) came into my mind this morning as I passed by one of a million new housing developments in the greater Seattle area whose name is at least partly composed of the word “wood.”

Now, I am pretty sure that the term here does not refer to the “wood” that used to be on the ¼ acre-or-so parcel of land that has since been nuked and replaced with 75-or-so giant 3 story houses of four-or-so thousand square feet, each of which generously blessed with a spacious 1000 square foot beautifully manicured Astroturf (sometimes triangular) piece of land. A beautifully pretentious wooden sign bears the name of the new “wood” neighborhood filled with what are sometimes called “McMansions.” (Funny, as I sit here riding the bus in to work, I cannot recall this ones particular wood prefix. Regardless, in this case, my daughter would be correct to assume that the term wood refers to milled lumber.

Just a little ways down the road another new development is going in. I’d guess this parcel might stretch to ¾ acre-or-so, thus they ought to be able to crush a good 100-or-so houses in there. A good number of “wood” names have already been taken, so I thought I might offer some to make their lives easier.

Clowncarwood.
Sardinewood
Chock-fullwood
Huddledmasseswood
Pressedwood
Oncearainforestwood
Incommodiouswood
Minisculewood
Fauxwood
Cloggedwood
Justinsidethelegallimitwood
Pressuretreatedwood
Congestwood
Heapwood
Valuewood
Comeswithatoyforthekidsvaluewood
Cemeterywood
MassiveCasualtiestargetforterroristswood
Icansmellmyneighborswhentheyusethebathroomwood
Allittakesisoneofustogetawirelesssnetworkforusallwood
Littlemorethanaweedwackerwillbeneededfortheselawnswood
Nodogsover10lbwood
Notsureeachplacewarrantsitsownaddresswood
Developerismakingakillingwood
Nostretchingallowedwood
Natureselsewherewood


Of course there are other suffixes besides "wood", but they seemingly MUST have something to do with "nature." Some other common ones include: Glen, Creek, Stream, and Hill(s).

And, I've actually discovered how these developments (along with Rest Homes) are actually named. Give it a try and you too can feel like a developer...minus that vast amounts of cash.

Comments

Paige said…
I remember when I first moved from my extremely rural hometown to the city (if you can call Knoxville that) where I went to college. I went to visit a friend who lived in the suburbs (believe it or not, I'd never encountered suburbs before) and was utterly confused because the streets all had names like "Gulfwood" and "Fernwood." There were no ferns on fernwood, and no gulf anywhere around gulfwood. Some of the streets were named after plants that couldn't even grow in that part of the continent. Suburban street names still amaze me.
fdj said…
Yes Paige, and the "HarborCreek" subdevelopment in Pheonix Arizona has neither. But thos ewho live there just feel good about the name.

:)
Meg said…
For reasons unfathomable to me, here on the East Coast, "Ways" are very popular -- "Ivan's Way," "Ann's Way," "Penny Way" (makes me yearn to propose a new street, "Ididitmy Way"). Also "Commons," as in, "Conifer Commons," "Aspen Commons" (like we have aspens in New Hampshire!!), "Hampshire Commons." Again, an insane desire is building to rename one of these, "Short Commons," in the admittedly vain hope that one day, one of these development boobs will realize the difference between a COMMON (the grassy area in the center of town, used as common grazing for the families' cows and sheep) and COMMONS, an English term for a meal taken in common, as opposed to eating privately in one's room. Or maybe I'll just have my own development altogether, "Fantasyland," consisting of 1000-sq-foot cottages....
Anonymous said…
Hi My name is Annette, I live in California and I'm new to this blog. I just had to comment on Meg's reply..."'Fantasyland,'" consisting of 1000-sq-foot cottages...." We have lots of home being built here also - loved your names - and they are all such large houses. My husband and I are close to retirement and it would be nice to have a smaller house as I would like to retire a bit also from all this "stuff". Meg - put me on the waiting list for one of your cottages. I love the idea.
Mimi said…
I work in Real Estate, and I see some very interesting ones.

What always cracks me up are the themed ones - you know the subdivision that has Impala, Daytona, Mustang etc. My favorite though is the one that has horse names - Arab, Chestnut, Filly, and I kid you not - Gelding. Bwahahahahahahaha.
Susan Sophia said…
Mimi--What kind of real estate are you in or should I say, what "part"?
Mimi said…
Susan Sophia - I am a Licensed Assistant to an agent here in the metropolis I live in.
Anonymous said…
Since I've only recently become a homeowner, and that in a country where everything has always been cramped, my previous experience of this has been with apartment complexes.

The last two where I lived in the States were Spring Hill, which had no spring and no hill, and Scarborough Lakes, where the two little ponds were dug out when they built the complex and the buildings were painted white with black trim in an attempt at mock-Tudor.
Anonymous said…
For years I've been wanting to run around naming these silly developments things like "Landfill Lane" and "Toxic Waste Vista"...

Liz

Popular Posts